Chili - Beans or No Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My own experiments at re-creating "Rut's Hut" rippers has led me to conclude that Nathan's Coney Island "natural casing" beef frankfurters, deep fried in peanut oil, come real close.

Nathan's.jpg

Of course, finding Nathan's Coney Island "natural casing" beef frankfurters, is practically impossible, but is well worth the effort.

Rut's Hut was an awesome place! I have no idea if they are still as good as they were but I ate there so many times I've lost count.

PS. their open steak sandwich was incredible.

Last edited:
I make chili with and without beans depending on who's going to eat it. I prefer using cubed beef but also use ground beef. We buy beef from a local rancher every 5-6 months so it's high quality and tasty. Last Christmas for a neighborhood party I made chili without beans but with corn and made cornbread to go with, and it was a hit.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Manhattan Clam Chowder beats New England Chowder hands down.

New Englands thick, creamy and baconey beats the heck out of Manhattans watered down tomato sauce any day of the year.

Chris

Alright, you guys hold on awhile, I'm popping some more popcorn before we jump into the clam chowder debate...🤣

Might as well toss in PC vs Mac, and maybe some religion and politics too, just to get the whole thread banned !

Reactions: 02ebz06 and zwiller
I have lived a sheltered life I've never had chilli with anything except ground beef. Never had it without beans except to make chilli dogs. Guess I need to try some new things.
I'm in the New England Clam Chowder crowd. Manhattan isn't terrible just not my first choice.

Don't forget iPhone versus the others.
welllll..... there's a reason that there aren't any iPhone wannabes - and it's crystal clear that the reason is that nobody wants to be like an iPhone.....

thick, rich, creamy porky clam chowder is so much better than clam chili......

Go Vegan Party 2024! Elect the great and powerful Cornholio!

I'm going to go slaughter a goat for my pagan deity Goatstradormus now. Ya'll kids be good!

• Haha
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I have lived a sheltered life I've never had chilli with anything except ground beef. Never had it without beans except to make chilli dogs. Guess I need to try some new things.
I'm in the New England Clam Chowder crowd. Manhattan isn't terrible just not my first choice.
Try your usual chili recipe and sub in stew meat in place of ground and see what you think. I like it better with the stew meat, as does my wife. As far as clam chowder, Manhattan style has grown on me as I get older, but I'd still pick New England if I had to choose one style.

Was at Costco Business Center on OBT (south Orlando) as wife was getting low on but wipe.
Browsed the the coolers and what did I find? Stew sized goat meat chunks.
Goatstradormus rewards those most faithful with Costco contracts ;)

Me, I'm not super committed so the Light of Goatstradormus does not shine upon this unworthy one :(

• Haha
Reactions: BigW.
It just so happens that I have a big batch of chili cooking for a special olympics charity event tomorrow. I went with a combo of ground beef and sausage for the meat, and yes, it has beans. I make ours with stew meat but for this, I decided to make what most people would call chili.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky