Pinto Beans and Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I had been wanting to cook beans and ham so I set out on a mission to find a new recipe to try. After a search on here, I came across this picture from thirdeye thirdeye ...
1707526857740.png

Man that looks good so I set out to find the recipe and I found it on his cooking site...

After looking at the ingredients, I had most of the stuff and found substitutes for the stuff I didn't have so here we go...

20240207_131821[1].jpg

The ingredients copied from his recipe...
3 cups washed Pinto beans
3 or 4 twice smoked ham hocks (or shanks) (or few strips bacon) (or 1/3 lb salt pork)
1 onion, chopped and sweated.
2 green onions with tops, chopped and sweated
2 split and seeded jalapenos (or serrano peppers), chopped
2 or 3 mild green chilis like Anaheim or Big Jim, roasted, skinned then chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed into paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 T. dry mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. chili powder “Top Hat” is my favorite
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes (optional)
1 or 2 t Summer Savory
1 t Epazote
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
Sriracha “hot” chili sauce served at the table.

I subbed poblanos for the Anaheim or Big Jim peppers because I had them. Roasted them on the grill along with the garlic...
20240207_134931[1].jpg

Meanwhile, I had browned some of the end pieces from my first batch of bacon...
20240207_133338[1].jpg

Removed the bacon pieces and sweated all the onions in the fat...
20240207_135902[1].jpg

20240207_142344[1].jpg

The garlic smashed and the peppers peeled and chopped...
20240207_140805[1].jpg

I had already boiled the smoked ham for about 30-45 minutes. Added the beans and brought back to a boil. Added the onions, bacon pieces, garlic, peppers, mustard, fresh sage(sub for fresh Summer Savory), cilantro(sub for Epazote), bay leaf, my homemade no-salt chili powder, and black pepper...
20240207_145545[1].jpg

20240207_145616[1].jpg

Simmered this for an hour or so until the beans were done. Then added the Worcestershire sauce and the can of tomatoes. Simmered another 30 minutes...
20240207_170602[1].jpg

Time to eat...
20240207_173449[1].jpg

I basically followed the recipe, with a few substitutions, and these were great! I appreciate Wayne posting his recipe.

There were enough salty components so I did not add any salt. I used leftover smoked ham chunks from our Christmas ham because I had it in the freezer. I subbed fresh Sage for the Summer Savory because I've never even seen Summer Savory and the interweb said sage is a good substitute. Same with the Epazote, never even heard of it. The interweb said cilantro was a good substitute and I had dry on hand so dry it was. I didn't have jalapenos on hand so I left them out. Probably would've been better with fresh cilantro and jalapenos, but I wasn't running to the store for just them. I would like to try this recipe with all the correct ingredients one day, but I will make this again.

If you're looking for a good pinto bean recipe, try this one...you won't be disappointed...

Looks great, I do something similar in my crock pot. With a ham, usually spiral cut, labeled "fully cooked ham", I put it in for two to three more hours in my smoker to get it to what my taste buds consider "done" with a little smoke. I cheat and intentionally do not clean it down too close when slicing off the bone. I then zip bag to save and freeze the bone, all the scraps of fat, skin, what ever I trim off that also might have some smoke flavor for beans later. I then add similar to all that good stuff suggested above to use in my beans along with some left over ham chunks if needed with chicken broth. Good stuff.

Last edited:
A really comfort food that I had often growing up. Yours looks great.
Thank you, Jeff...
Looks great, I do something similar in my crock pot. With a ham, usually spiral cut, labeled "fully cooked ham", I put it in for two to three more hours in my smoker to get it to what my taste buds consider "done" with a little smoke. I cheat and intentionally do not clean it down too close when slicing off the bone. I then zip bag to save and freeze the bone, all the scraps of fat, skin, what ever I trim off for beans later. I then add similar stuff to all that good stuff suggested above to use in my beans along with some left over ham chunks if needed with chicken broth. Good stuff.
When we have ham, I do the same and leave some meat on the bone. Love it for vegetable soup...
Looks great Charles . That's a dish that hits the spot . I made some the other day , but on this side of the line it Great Northerns .
Nice work bud .
Thanks Rich. It did hit the spot and satisfied a hankering I had.
Wow Charles does that look good. Well done. Going on the list. I gave a ham bone and ham to a friend and hinted I would like a bowl of beans back. I give food all the time to him and his wife. No such luck :emoji_disappointed:
Thanks Brian, if you like pintos and ham, this recipe is for you...😉
Absolutely fabulous looking soup Charles, and that would have made a great throw-down entry.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, but I never considered this to fall into one of the 3 categories...
Looks awesome Charles, and thanks for the step by step!

Dave
Thank you Dave. I try hard to put things in a format that hopefully will help someone duplicate what I did if they want. Plus, it helps me remember later on what I did...🤣
Oh man! A big slab of cornbread would go perfect with that big bowl of awesome!

Jim
Yes Jim, cornbread is a perfect compliment to this...
In the bottom of the bowl , beans spooned on top .
Absolutely...

Thanks again to thirdeye thirdeye for the recipe, I just followed it as best I could...

Thank you, Jeff...

When we have ham, I do the same and leave some meat on the bone. Love it for vegetable soup...

Thanks Rich. It did hit the spot and satisfied a hankering I had.

Thanks Brian, if you like pintos and ham, this recipe is for you...😉

Thanks Chris, but I never considered this to fall into one of the 3 categories...

Thank you Dave. I try hard to put things in a format that hopefully will help someone duplicate what I did if they want. Plus, it helps me remember later on what I did...🤣

Yes Jim, cornbread is a perfect compliment to this...

Absolutely...

Thanks again to thirdeye thirdeye for the recipe, I just followed it as best I could...
Gettin' back to basics. 👍

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky