Buck board bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lucky7s

Original poster
Mar 10, 2017
Pa
Made my first batch of buckboard bacon. Used 2 boneless butts and backwoods seasoning/cure. Smoked at 225 using jack daniels woods chips. Satisfied with the flavor, but not the way it sliced up. Anybody have any suggestions? the pics I have seen on the net look like bacon slices. mine are more like odd shaped ham pieces 

If you could post pics of the process that would help.

How you deboned it.

I bought them deboned and tied. Unfortunately I didn't take pics. I think that I may have cut them too soon.

Next time get a bone in butt & butterfly it when you take out the bone.

Then you will have 2 nice uniform slabs of pork for your BBB.

Al

Thanks Al. I thought that might have something to do with it as well.

I've found that the butts that are 10-12 lbs make the best slabs after you take the bone out and in turn slice up real good. A Lil more room for error when deboning I guess.

Locally I have trouble finding them bigger than a few lbs 3-5. Big part of the issue was my slicer it was a p.o.s. I did some Canadian and it came out a lot nicer, just ate some last night as a matter of fact.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky