Reverse Sear Tomahawk with Pommes Pave' ( also Lemon Fudge for after )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Reverse Sear Tomahawk with Pommes Pave' ( also Lemon Fudge for after )

So thank you everyone for your suggestions and how to's.
I decided on let the beef shine here, like most mentioned. Just Salt , Pepper and light garlic powder
Also I tied the steak around its girth to keep its shape as did not want it to open up with all the nice fat as it cooked.

DSC_8648.JPG DSC_8651.JPG

Let this rest in the fridge for 3 hours, let the salt do its job. Got the smoker going after with Cherry chunks and hickory pellets held at 320/325 deg.
Pulled at 144 deg. Should have pulled at the 136 deg. check. There was nothing wrong at all with the final, I just wanted to finish with more heat from the sear to be around 148-150. But still tender and juicy.

Fist a thank you for a prize a while ago for one of my Throwdown wins, here is part of it "Thermapen One", love it and works great. Took a bit to getting used to the screen flipping when using at different angles. But nice and quick read.

DSC_8653.JPG DSC_8654.JPG

I know that temp would be a finish for a lot of you, but here in Monaville, her and her family like no red,
or pink or anything but dark ha ha ( well her sister likes rare but she was not with us today.)

Other things were going on while this was in the smoker, get to that in a minute

So I pulled it and let it set just for a minute while the Q grill came to a hot heat.
Seared both sides and the edge's About 5/6 minutes on each.
Had some bell peppers and red onions and radishes on the grill with S+P and lime juice

DSC_8656.JPG

DSC_8659.JPG

DSC_8662.JPG

DSC_8666.JPG
DSC_8673.JPG

The sear / crust on this is very nice and the smells, OMG, I wanted to slice an end cut and run out back so no one would take it from me.

Now back to what happened yesterday and today for the Pommes Pave'.

I normally check to see if anyone on the site does what I am thinking , did not check until after I started , Low and behold John chilerelleno chilerelleno has done these . They are good and a show piece of coarse.

Sliced russets very thin, now I made the sauce and heated , let cool and added my potatoes in the bowl, so as I built the Pave" everything is already flavored
Sause is , cream, minced shallots, butter and Thyme and Tarragon salt ad pepper and hard grated cheese

DSC_8643.JPG DSC_8644.JPG DSC_8645.JPG

Fold over the parchment paper and into a 350deg. oven for 1 1/2 hours or knife tender. Bring out and add another container same size with weight on it .
Once cooled, into the fridge with weight on it to compress over night.

5.JPG 6.JPG

Bring out and trim edges ( keep for later , cooks treats ) cut into even size piece's, I fried in my saved bacon grease I always have in the fridge
Every edge gets a crisp cook. Just look at all the thin layers in the pan,

7.JPG 8.JPG

9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG

Cook's treats : end cuts frying in bacon fat Mmmmmmm
13.JPG

I made a Mustard Cream sauce for the beef , It does not need it but I wanted to try it . Very nice
Reduced cream and add mustard and chopped chives

DSC_8678.JPG

So the Steak was at 152 when I sliced it up into 1/2" slices. the juice that came out well I saved that for over mine before the mustard sauce

DSC_8676.JPG

DSC_8677.JPG

This was very very good, lots of juice and flavour, not a lot of smoke to it but glad I just used SPG, everyone loved it and all the fixins.

My plate ( the potatoes in the picture look dark , they were golden brown )

DSC_8683.JPG

DSC_8685.JPG

DSC_8686.JPG

Well that is a wrap, My thoughts, I will try 5 degs. or so less next time, just to see. The Tomahawk was very good. Glad it was a gift because I probably would have never spent $60 bucks to try one.

Sorry almost forgot LEMON FUDGE for you ( me ) sugar junkies Just like Lemon Meringue Pie in a sguare

After 4 pieces I am done , :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_wink:

DSC_8688.JPG

DSC_8689.JPG

I know very long winded , but that's me

Thanks if you even made it part way through, talk soon

David

Outstanding looking meal David, but I'm really disappointed you didn't use my cinnamon and boil advice.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks great, David. Although we like our steak rare to med. rare, I would gladly enjoy a plate of that...

Thanks Charles for the like and the comment

I know most folks do, and I was going to pull it just a little earlier because of the sear.

But It was very tender and lots of juice inside, and everyone loved it and the new spuds

David

David, you did a fine job for the first time for sure! Hats Off!! Oh and all the sides look amazing as well!!!!!

Now that you have experienced this cook.....you know why a smoke and sear to a mid rare temp and roast to higher INT is a easily repeatable cook...... As an fyi, the crust continues to develop and deepen and it finishes roasting.... I'm a M-R person all the way but I have no problem gobbling up a M-R steak with a fully developed crust!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks great.
Maybe I should try me one of those scalpers. Like you, I never could bring myself to buy a $60 hunk of bone. But I got just a couple pieces of beef left right now while I wait for my steer to finish processing. Got another 10 or so days to go. Hmm. Let me ask the wife about it.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
David, you did a fine job for the first time for sure! Hats Off!! Oh and all the sides look amazing as well!!!!!

Now that you have experienced this cook.....you know why a smoke and sear to a mid rare temp and roast to higher INT is a easily repeatable cook...... As an fyi, the crust continues to develop and deepen and it finishes roasting.... I'm a M-R person all the way but I have no problem gobbling up a M-R steak with a fully developed crust!

Thanks Civil for the comment

Yes , now it is over and I see where I can do a couple things different sort of, because this was outstanding beef. Like I mentioned out of the smoker a few deg's sooner before the sear.

And the side were good also, the potatoes were nice and crisp outside with a soft sliced inside.

David

Reactions: civilsmoker
Looks great.
Maybe I should try me one of those scalpers. Like you, I never could bring myself to buy a $60 hunk of bone. But I got just a couple pieces of beef left right now while I wait for my steer to finish processing. Got another 10 or so days to go. Hmm. Let me ask the wife about it.

Thanks Steve for the comment

Yes I would have to have it given to me before I would pay that, Oh that's right it was . Thank god

It was well worth all the hype, and I would do it the same except a little lighter on the temp next time.
I enjoyed every bite

David

Hell Yeah!
Steak-n-Taters what's not to love there?
Where's the med-rare?

Them Pommes Pave are really looking good, nice job! Those taste mighty fine.

And the sauce sounds tasty too.

Thanks John for the love and the comment

Yes good meal , and I Know I know , too done for many on here . ha ha

The potatoes were fun to do that way, my Mandolin would not cut them thin enough , so I used just a knife.
What did you slice yours with when you did yours ?

Both the sauces were good , the one for the Pommes and the Mustard cream for the meat

This is out of a BBQ book I have
DSC_8652.JPG

David

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky