Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Recon1

Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Trying to make a breakfast sausage. The recipe I tried had too much sage in it. It had 3 teaspoons of sage for 2 pounds of ground pork butt. But it was missing that "sausage" taste I was looking for. The spices used were thyme, brown sugar, kosher salt, crushed fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Kinda looking for a recipe that tastes like Swaggerty hot sausage. What spices am I missing? I don't know enough to "adjust" as most recipes call for. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a great recipe for breakfast sausage. I went through a ton of different things before dialing this one in. Not sure about the Swaggerty sausage as I've never heard of it. You could amp this up with a 1/4 t of black pepper per pound or perhaps 1/8 t of Cayenne, or just some additional red pepper that's in the recipe already. We just love the balance of this and truly enjoy it. I do also have a recipe for spicy Italian sausage but I'm afraid that wouldn't make the flavor profile you're looking for in a breakfast sausage. Look this over and let me know if you have any questions. It's a tried and true recipe and I bet we could make it work for you with just a minor tweak or two.

16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon Garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon Accent
¼ teaspoon Oregano
¼ teaspoon onion powder

Robert

Recon1

That recipe sounds more like an Italian sausage recipe with some sage thrown in. Not what I would call
a breakfast sausage either. This might work for you.

2# ground pork butt
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground red pepper (optional)
2 tbl maple syrup

Cal

Don't know about the smoked paprika...
Our go-to family fresh sausage for making B&G: pork butt (or deer burger with 30% pork fat) and smoked bacon ends (if the local IGA has any) ground up together, sage, white pepper, maple sugar, whole fennel, cayenne, marjoram and ground clove. Fresh sage is much better if you've got some.

Here are 3 of my go-to's for b'fast sausage. Adjust to your liking.

SAGE
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage (or more)
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or more)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon msg (such as Accent flavor enhancer)
HOT
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more)
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon msg (such as Accent)
MAPLE
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon msg (such as Accent)
1/4 teaspoon coriander

"That recipe sounds more like an Italian sausage recipe with some sage thrown in. "

With all due respect, that is absolutely not an Italian sausage and there is no sage in it whatsoever. I have no idea where you came up with that one. This is the quintessential breakfast sausage and every person that has tried it agrees and loves the stuff.

Perplexed,
Robert

Robert , I thought same as you , but I think he is talking to the op .

"Yes, I was replying to Recon1"

I that case, my sincere apologies. Your post was right after mine and I thought you were referencing my recipe.

OOPS!!
Robert

Recon1, add coriander as others above me have mentioned....
I use 12g sage per 25lbs. of meat. Using weight in grams is preferred for measuring a strong herb like sage. You can pick a gram scale up on Amazon for about $10 bucks that will weigh in 0.01g up to 500g. This is plenty accurate enough for all home sausage making needs....

Last edited:
Here's the recipe I used: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ba-breakfast-sausage I used 2 pounds of ground pork and modified the sage as I used dried sage. I see a few using coriander and Accent or MSG. Does the MSG change the flavor profile that much? I have that. I can see that I need to drop the fennel. And my conversion from fresh to dried sage was way off. It will be awhile before I try this again. I'm going to try to make a cheddar brat with the rest of the pork. This will be my first attempt with making links.

Reactions: fullborebbq
Spice Usage guidelines.jpg
Spice conversion 001.jpg

Reactions: Jonok
Thanks! That will come in handy. Right now I can't find savory and mace in this town.

Here's the recipe I use, which is a culmination of multiple recipes, just taking the "best" of the best. It is NOT a hot breakfast sausage by any means:

4lb Pork butt
1 1/2 tbl Salt
2 1/2 Tsp Dry sage
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Red Pepper flake (adjust to taste)
1 tsp Ground Mustard
1/3 c Maple syrup.

Grind pork butt with coarse blade
Add spice mix
Grind with fine blade
add maple syrup and mix (you will need your hands).

I vacuum seal enough for 2 omelets in each bag, flattened out for quick defrosting.

Does MSG make a big difference? Not really but yes it does. Let's say, you and I make your favorite recipe. I add MSG and you don't. Next we have our families taste them both. Although no one will be able to put their finger on it, Everybody will tell you My dish is better.
I tested this with my crew. I mixed S & P, only, into 2 pounds of Ground Beef. I split the batch then added 1 teaspoon MSG to half. I then made Sliders, seared on a CI griddle. Each had one slider, plain, one With and one Without MSG. It was unanimous, the Slider with MSG was just Better. It tasted Beefier and more full flavored.
Glutamate is a naturally occurring Amino Acid. Our bodies naturally crave it not only because it contributes to Protein Building but it Tastes Good! Our very first taste of Glutamate is at Mother's Breast, or drinking any Milk for that matter, and we are Hooked. A thousand generations of Italians have been boosting Glutamate in food for centuries. Pasta with Garlic and Extra Virginia Olive Oil tastes great. Add cooked Tomatoes, high Glutamate, and it taste Better. Add 2 year Aged Parmaggiano Reggiano, SUPER high in Glutamate and the Flavor Explodes!!!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky