Chicken Sausage and Vegetarian Casings for someone with Alfa-Gal Syndrome

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
About 3 years back a good friend got bit by a tick and contracted Alfa-gal Syndrome. They can only eat poultry or fish products. Their diet is pretty boring!

Been messing around with some chicken sausage for them and found some flavors they really liked. Chicken thighs work pretty good and made a good textured sausage (coarse plate initial grind, add seasonings, blend, chill to near frozen, then medium plate for final grind). Use all skin and fat in the sausage. Be aware several prepared seasoning flavors have milk products in them (which would make them sick).

I checked with pretty much every sausage supply house I knew trying to find edible casings not made of beef, pork, lamb, etc. as that would make them sick. Even collagen won't work. I scored when I called The Sausage Maker. They put me in touch with their "Master Sausage Maker" and he had some vegetable-casings that he said worked very well. He was also making chicken sausage for about 20 people with alfa-gal syndrome. The veggie-casings are on now their web page now in case you are interested.

About 3 years back a good friend got bit by a tick and contracted Alfa-gal Syndrome. They can only eat poultry or fish products. Their diet is pretty boring!

Been messing around with some chicken sausage for them and found some flavors they really liked. Chicken thighs work pretty good and made a good textured sausage (coarse plate initial grind, add seasonings, blend, chill to near frozen, then medium plate for final grind). Use all skin and fat in the sausage. Be aware several prepared seasoning flavors have milk products in them (which would make them sick).

I checked with pretty much every sausage supply house I knew trying to find edible casings not made of beef, pork, lamb, etc. as that would make them sick. Even collagen won't work. I scored when I called The Sausage Maker. They put me in touch with their "Master Sausage Maker" and he had some vegetable-casings that he said worked very well. He was also making chicken sausage for about 20 people with alfa-gal syndrome. The veggie-casings are on now their web page now in case you are interested.

thanks for the info. I am getting ready to make chicken sausage pretty soon. Do you get the boneless thighs or do you have to debone. everything boneless seems to be nakkid too.

It sounds a lot like the diet the doctor put my dad on during his cancer treatments. Fish and poultry with no seasoning. I'm happy you found a casing that will work.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: uncle eddie
Good on you, that's a very nice thing to be doing for a friend! I notice the casings are kind of spendy and come with a warning of being fairly sensitive to stuff and cook. I've been making chicken sausage for years and always make a few patties near the end of the job with what's left in the stuffer. Might be a good way to go to cut the expense. RAY

Just a thought I had while working on something, could these sausages be poached or smoked in like a hotdog casing that's made from cellulose? It would end up as a skinless sausage though.

thanks for the info. I am getting ready to make chicken sausage pretty soon. Do you get the boneless thighs or do you have to debone. everything boneless seems to be nakkid too.
flatbroke flatbroke The boneless are easy and cheap...especially if you buy it in bulk. But I think you get more skin/fat when I have to debone the thighs. We have not really done any texture/taste comparisons though.

Just a thought I had while working on something, could these sausages be poached or smoked in like a hotdog casing that's made from cellulose? It would end up as a skinless sausage though.
crankybuzzard crankybuzzard I have never used cellulose so I have not considered them before...but I will now. The vegetable casings I am getting are for making chicken brats.

flatbroke flatbroke The boneless are easy and cheap...especially if you buy it in bulk. But I think you get more skin/fat when I have to debone the thighs. We have not really done any texture/taste comparisons though.
I’m gonna keep looking for boneless skin on thighs. Thanks. Last few cases I got have all been skinless which was fine for bbq.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky