barbeque chiken rub recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rustinpeace

Original poster
Jul 26, 2015
i have looked up several barbeque chic recipes but hey all seem to use to much pepper ,paprika, chili  powder etc.   im looking for a minimal spicey barbeque flavored rub recipe       thanks in advance

Black Pepper adds tons of flavor but in large quantity, heat. Paprika, good quality, has an earthy flavor but is mostly about the color. Chili Powder, McCormick has very little heat, is a blend of the mild Ancho Chile, with some Cumin, Salt and Oregano. From there some add a little Sugar, cuts the bitterness, and then something for added heat, usually Cayenne or Arbol Chile. Regardless, of all these, YOU control the heat. If a recipe calls for all the ingredients in Tablespoons, cut the spicey stuff down to 1/2 or 1 teaspoon. Here are two Zero Heat recipes you may like and one for the Grill too...JJ

Juicy Smoke-tastic Chicken and Turkey

Here is a Brine and Rub that is a Favorite with members of my Family. I like Apple and/or Hickory with Chicken or Turkey. We determine doneness by measuring the Internal Temp (IT) in the thickest part of the Breast and Thigh, 165* and 175*F respectively. For a One Step Smoke with Crispy Skin the birds have to be smoked at a temp of 300-325°F. You can figure about 15 minutes per pound to reach the desired IT. Electric smokers usually only go to 275°F. With these you will be smoking at the most common temp range of 225-275°F. You can figure on about 25 minutes per pound cook time + or - 5 minutes depending what part of the range you choose. Usually the skin will not crisp so if the skin is not Crisp enough when the IT is 145*F in the Breast, put the Bird in a 425*F Oven to finish cooking to 165* and Crisp the Skin...JJ

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Paprika

2T Gran. Garlic

2T Gran. Onion

2T Dry Thyme

2T Black Pepper

1C Vinegar (Any)

1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

1/2C Brown Sugar, Optional

1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.

Remove the Chix, rinse if desired and pat dry with paper towels.

Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.

This will give a crispier skin when Smokng or Roasting...

Mild but Wild Chix Rub

1/4C Raw Sugar

2T Paprika (I use Smoked if I'm just Grilling)

1T Gran. Garlic

1T Gran. Onion

2tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning or other

1tsp Ground Coriander Seed (2-3tsp Whole seed, fresh ground)

1tsp Black Pepper

1tsp Mustard Powder

1tsp Allspice

1/2tsp Cumin

Optional: 1T Kosher Salt * Leave out if you Brined the Bird!

Mix well. You can put directly on the skin or mix with Butter, Oil or Bacon Grease and rub on and under the Skin.

If you don't want to mess with the Smoker, fire up the Grill for Offset cooking. Try this Pit Chicken Basting Sauce it is GREAT! You can still Brine and Rub the chicken parts as desired.

Pit Chix Basting Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar

1C Olive or other Oil

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

2Lrg Egg Yolks

Place all but the Oil in a Blender and puree on high as you slowly drizzle in the Oil to emulsify. Place in a Sports bottle and shake before squirting or basting the Chicken. Grill the seasoned Chicken over indirect heat until juices run clear or the Internal Temp reaches 165*F, about 1.5 hours for Bone-in Breasts,175*F, about 2 hours for Leg Quarters and Halves. Squirt or baste the Chix every 10-15 minutes. If needed you can briefly place the Chix on the hot side of the Grill, turning frequently, to Crisp the Skin and achieve the desired Color.

Makes 26 ounces

This stuff is Tangy with a Sweet and slightly Spicy Finish ( Kid Safe). If you wish, instead of Brining, you can make a Double batch and add 1T Kosher Salt to half. Marinate the Chix for 4-6 hours with the salted half of the Basting Sauce then use the rest to baste during the Cook.

I would squirt the Sauce on with a Sports Bottle about every 10-15 minutes and used all but 1/2 cup that I took to the Table to add a fresh Punch of flavor.

Last edited:
I use about the same Rub recipe as JJ.  I delete the Poultry seasoning though and definitely no heat . Trish and her family are hard core Ohioans and can't handle heat. So I add the Chipote and other heat after cooking . Bummer.
frown.gif

Have fun and . . .

thanks i will try them for sure and ive never brined before .  but think i will now since that seems like it would help also  

I have had some really good luck lately with cooling down my chicken without losing any flavor. I have been using SPOG as a basic start and then dusting lightly with Weber Kickin' Chicken. I have sacrificed some color, but I can't taste color, anyway.

Since you are a newbie, you may not be acquainted with SPOG. It is salt, pepper, onion and garlic. I use 1/4 c. kosher salt, 1/4 c. coarse ground pepper, 1 tbs. granulated onion and 1 tbs. granulated garlic. You can play with the amounts and proportions as you use it. I keep it in the fridge in a shaker and use it all the time. It's good on any green veggie, steak, burger, potato, or most anything. Good luck, Joe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky