Bacon Potato Dome ( bacon wrapped scalloped potatoes ) lots of pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Holy Shoot, David!!
That's really neat!!
Came out Beautiful !!
Now you gotta come up with something else for the Throw-down!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

I love it David! Definitely gonna try this and not waiting for company, who says I wanna share! Lol! So what's your thoughts... would ya like it better with the heavy cream or the soup and milk mix like you used?

Ryan

Holy Shoot, David!!
That's really neat!!
Came out Beautiful !!
Now you gotta come up with something else for the Throw-down!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John for the like and the comment,

It was fun to do and eat. Very nice of you to say.
Not sure about the throw-down...I think I am little too new and most folks put out some amazing items here.

David

I love it David! Definitely gonna try this and not waiting for company, who says I wanna share! Lol! So what's your thoughts... would ya like it better with the heavy cream or the soup and milk mix like you used?

Ryan

Hi Ryan thanks for the comment

Just my way of thinking , I think the cream soup of what ever you like would be better because in the heavy cream it really does not stick to the potatoes as much as with the soup.
And i had to remove a little of the soup off of the potatoes because I did not want it to be too runny and fall apart when you cut it open. Maybe add just a little more than half of a can of the milk to the mix. The cheese I sliced was thick and it gave the potatoes a little moisture. In the picture of the bowl with the potatoes in it you can see how thick the sauce was, so next time I am going to thin out with a little more milk.

Me and Mona ate it all in 2 days, so now I have to make it again soon for her Mother.... well ok than lol

If I can help any more just ask

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Bacon Potato Dome ( bacon wrapped scallop potatoes )

We love scalloped potatoes - so of coarse to make it better just cover it with bacon and fill with fried onions and chopped cooked bacon.
- Bacon thick cut for weave -1 pound
- 4-6 potatoes sliced thin
- 1 cup heavy cream, ( I had none left so I used 1 can of cream of celery soup and 1/2 cup milk mixed )
- salt and ground pepper - teaspoon each
- 500 grams cheese - I used pizza Mozzarella sliced
- 1 onion sliced and 1/2 pound bacon chopped and than fried together

Onion and bacon fried, slice the potatoes and soak in bowl of soup and milk and salt and pepper, make the basket weave while potatoes soak

View attachment 508249 View attachment 508253 View attachment 508250

Place the bacon weave between wax paper and roll out flatter, so no gaps, place in bowl and there will be a little hanging over and that is good. To fold over potato final step. Put on the bacon a full layer of cheese
than a layer of potato than sprinkle some onion and bacon mix on that. Add another 2 layers of potatoes, than onion and bacon, than 1 more layer of cheese than fill with potatoes ( The potatoes in the cream or soup mix just pick out the potatoes and slide off the sauce on the edge of the bowl, potatoes should be wet but not coated like fish batter, it would be too wet )

View attachment 508251 View attachment 508252

Sorry some how I missed the picture of the full bowl, so just keep filling and actually fill a little higher than the bowl so it does not sink while cooking , because it will be flipped after cooking and you don't want it to sink on the top
Place a pan with weight on top to help hold the bacon in place so it does not curl and raise the potatoes out of the bowl

Cook in an oven at 350 deg. for 1 1/2 hours , remove from oven . Flip onto a rack with a pan to catch the drippings and put back in oven for 15 minutes to crisp the bacon more

View attachment 508254 View attachment 508255

So this is it , holding my breath to see if it cuts and does not pour out like soup........great it worked. Plated it up with our fresh tomatoes and beans and Mona made a salad with everything. Had BBQ chicken and some rice

View attachment 508256 View attachment 508257 View attachment 508258

And the final close up shot of the inside

View attachment 508259

Thanks for staying for a long post , all was good and Mona was happy , like I said we love Scalloped Potatoes

David
David, that looks flat out AMAZING!!!
Mine would look more like a cow pie.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_thumbsup:

If thats not inspiring nothing is
You did put Jalapeno in with the spuds didnt you?

Thanks Titch for the comment

Ha ha , no Jalapeno in the Dome , as it would have been hard to finish my supper with 2 black eyes .
Mona not a big fan of Jalapenos, I could have made an other one with them in it , but too much food than for 2 people

David

Reactions: Titch
Very cool! Bet it would be great done like that in the smoker too.

Thanks jcam222 for the like and the comment

Yes it was very cool and tasty.

It would not get any smoke as it was in a total covered bowl and weight on top.
I tried to figure out how to add smoke to it , Wurstmeister Wurstmeister mentioned maybe oil the potatoes and put in foil with holes it it to get some smoke , than I thought may I could press them between 2 wire racks and smoke to get oil on them.

But the dome itself had to go back in the oven for 15 minutes once flipped to crisp the bacon.

I was very surprised how much smoke I had with the cooked bacon inside and the bacon juice ( grease) from the wrap
that went into the potatoes and made it smokey flavored.

I will be doing this again very soon , and try to add smoke

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky