Bacon Potato Dome ( bacon wrapped scalloped potatoes ) lots of pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Bacon Potato Dome ( bacon wrapped scallop potatoes )

We love scalloped potatoes - so of coarse to make it better just cover it with bacon and fill with fried onions and chopped cooked bacon.
- Bacon thick cut for weave -1 pound
- 4-6 potatoes sliced thin
- 1 cup heavy cream, ( I had none left so I used 1 can of cream of celery soup and 1/2 cup milk mixed )
- salt and ground pepper - teaspoon each
- 500 grams cheese - I used pizza Mozzarella sliced
- 1 onion sliced and 1/2 pound bacon chopped and than fried together

Onion and bacon fried, slice the potatoes and soak in bowl of soup and milk and salt and pepper, make the basket weave while potatoes soak

1.JPG
DSC_2883.JPG
2.JPG

Place the bacon weave between wax paper and roll out flatter, so no gaps, place in bowl and there will be a little hanging over and that is good. To fold over potato final step. Put on the bacon a full layer of cheese
than a layer of potato than sprinkle some onion and bacon mix on that. Add another 2 layers of potatoes, than onion and bacon, than 1 more layer of cheese than fill with potatoes ( The potatoes in the cream or soup mix just pick out the potatoes and slide off the sauce on the edge of the bowl, potatoes should be wet but not coated like fish batter, it would be too wet )

3.JPG
4.JPG

Sorry some how I missed the picture of the full bowl, so just keep filling and actually fill a little higher than the bowl so it does not sink while cooking , because it will be flipped after cooking and you don't want it to sink on the top
Place a pan with weight on top to help hold the bacon in place so it does not curl and raise the potatoes out of the bowl

Cook in an oven at 350 deg. for 1 1/2 hours , remove from oven . Flip onto a rack with a pan to catch the drippings and put back in oven for 15 minutes to crisp the bacon more

5.JPG
6.JPG

So this is it , holding my breath to see if it cuts and does not pour out like soup........great it worked. Plated it up with our fresh tomatoes and beans and Mona made a salad with everything. Had BBQ chicken and some rice

7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

And the final close up shot of the inside

10.JPG

Thanks for staying for a long post , all was good and Mona was happy , like I said we love Scalloped Potatoes

David

Last edited:
Now that’s clever, David. Clearly you have some time on your hands, but I like it. Beautifully done, and sure looks delicious.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Looked like a sour dough round at first. Very nice job

Great looking plate. The Scalloped Potatoes are nicely layered. Thanks for the pics and the recipe. Wonder how it would taste if you lightly smoked the potatoes beforehand? 🍻
John

John thank you for the like and the comment

Funny you would say that as I went looking to see if I could smoke raw potatoes without them curling or getting hard and black, because I fell a little guilty as my last 2 posts were not smoked at all,

David

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Now that’s clever, David. Clearly you have some time on your hands, but I like it. Beautifully done, and sure looks delicious.

Thanks SmokinEdge for the like and the comment

Thanks it was fun to do , but nervous with the first cut , did not know if it would just fall as soon
as I cut it .
Yes took today off as Mona had an eye appointment and had to have a drive so I took the whole day off and knew I wantted to try this

David

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky