Bacon and Ham Run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Doing all the bacon (fresh side) and some 9-10# ham steaks off of 2 hogs. 35# bacon and about 30# ham. Will be doing another run soon. This is just a snippet picture. Smoked in the big house with mostly pecan but did add some apple chunks, I’m about sold on pecan though, it’s fantastic flavor.

22E6D643-638B-4DB0-B5AC-972B358D3DC7.jpeg

648F0E0E-E06F-4540-8BD0-F96E66FF5151.jpeg

ACD1D9D6-0D66-4905-BF96-4EA8C98025AE.jpeg

Looks great. I have a gilt that's about 400 lbs that needs to be butchered. He's backed up thou.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That look's KILLER!!!
There is something about Pecan smoked bacon, it just makes it amazing. I smoked my last 3 bellies with pecan dust, and people go nuts over it.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
***looks at fatty slab of buckboard bacon he has curing in meat fridge, looks at what what SE just pulled outta the smokehouse, looks back fatty slab of BBB, looks back at what SE pulled outta the smokehouse.****

Well I guess ya gotta start somewhere. Those hams and bacon look excellent, SE !!

Man, if that tastes half as good as it looks, you're in for a real treat!!!!!!

Nice Work! I can almost smell it let alone taste it !

Just a question, after you cured it, then seasoned it how long did you let it sit in the refer before you smoked it? I've got 16.9 lbs that I have on racks in my refer and they been there for 1 full day and I'm wondering if it should be 2 or 3 full days for the slabs to create a nice pellicle.... Appreciate any advice on that....

Man, if that tastes half as good as it looks, you're in for a real treat!!!!!!

Nice Work! I can almost smell it let alone taste it !

Just a question, after you cured it, then seasoned it how long did you let it sit in the refer before you smoked it? I've got 16.9 lbs that I have on racks in my refer and they been there for 1 full day and I'm wondering if it should be 2 or 3 full days for the slabs to create a nice pellicle.... Appreciate any advice on that....
Once curing is completed, I remove from bag pat dry with paper towels. Then either on to wire cooling racks with a fan moving air over them for pellicle formation, couple hours, or I net them right after toweling go into the smokehouse at 140* no smoke for about an hour then start smoke. I like to rest them a couple days after smoking to let the smoke mellow and settle in to the meat.

Reactions: indaswamp
I’m about sold on pecan though, it’s fantastic flavor

I am sold on it.. this is all pecan (click on picture to enlarge)

From this ...

IMG_1628.JPG

To this

IMG_1639.JPG

For this

IMG_1643.JPG

And I gotta tell ya... That ham looks perfect... My wife gets mad at me because that's all I eat for sammies everyday in my lunch ... Love me some good ham...

I am sold on it.. this is all pecan (click on picture to enlarge)

From this ...

View attachment 520211

To this

View attachment 520212

For this

View attachment 520213

And I gotta tell ya... That ham looks perfect... My wife gets mad at me because that's all I eat for sammies everyday in my lunch ... Love me some good ham...
Thanks Keith, man I wish I had access to that pecan wood. 5-800 miles from here, but I can buy bagged chunks. I appreciate your feedback.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky