Retired Spook style Fricken Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cptnding

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2021
Finally got a chance to try one of the Frick's Carver hams that Retired Spook Retired Spook had posted up and I have to say it was not disappointing! That ham is some fricken good stuff. Fancied it up with fresh pineapple and maraschino cherries. Made a glaze with pineapple juice, brown sugar, dijon mustard, and some gochujang. Cooked the glaze down and basted the ham for about the last hour. Got a few photos with my phone.

Set up the kettle in smoker mode and got the ham on looking all pretty.
IMG-3975.jpg

Got the temp settled in at 250 on the grate and added some hickory chunks.
IMG-3976.jpg

About one hour in.
IMG-3977.jpg

Started putting on the glaze at about 120 int
IMG-3978.jpg

Pulled at 135
FullSizeRender.jpg

Cut photo
IMG-3980.jpg

Had plenty of charcoal left so put on some knockwurst, polish, italian, and some burgers out of the freezer for next week. I'm loving the real estate on this Weber 26".
IMG-3983.jpg

The ham is fantastic. The cherries were like a smoky semi hard candy. A bit too sweet for me but my wife loved them. The pineapple chunks will be fought over lol. This morning we fried up some slices for a ham, fried egg, and cheese english muffin. Was surprised how the pineapple flavor came through. And I had a ham sandwich for lunch at work today.
Big thanks to Retired Spook Retired Spook for your post. I don't think I would have given them a second thought otherwise. It is good stuff. I'm thinking I'm going to put one on the slicer straight out of the package to try for lunch sandwiches.

That ham looks really good, and I like the Wendy's style burgers also. Nicely done!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Oh man that looks fricken awesome! :emoji_sunglasses:

What a fricken great cook and write up and I am honored to get the fricken mention 🫡

They really are fricken great hams - I've loved ham since I was a kid but when I stumbled across one of these fricken hams I was impressed. Frick's surely know what they are doing! And yes, straight out of the package on to my deli slicer sliced paper thin, and the ham sandwiches are top shelf!

I am happy that yours turned out so beautiful and glad you liked it!

Merry Christmas!!!

Looks great. That’s exactly how we do our hams. The wife sits there and eats the pineapple as I cut it haha. The 26” kettle is a game changer. As dumb as it sounds it’s crazy how much bigger it is than the 22” as far as space.

I ran across a Kentucky Legend brand ham at Krogers much like the Fricks posted here. Smoked it and let it sit in the fridge over night. Ran it on my slicer about half of it med to thick slices and the rest paper thin for sammichs.
your ham with the pineapple and cherries looks mighty fine!

Jim

That ham looks really good, and I like the Wendy's style burgers also. Nicely done!!!

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you sir! It was very good. Way better than those crappy spiral hams I've been smoking all these years.

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
Oh man that looks fricken awesome! :emoji_sunglasses:

What a fricken great cook and write up and I am honored to get the fricken mention 🫡

They really are fricken great hams - I've loved ham since I was a kid but when I stumbled across one of these fricken hams I was impressed. Frick's surely know what they are doing! And yes, straight out of the package on to my deli slicer sliced paper thin, and the ham sandwiches are top shelf!

I am happy that yours turned out so beautiful and glad you liked it!

Merry Christmas!!!
Merry Christmas to you as well RS!
Thanks to you for posting that up. Already went back to the Walmart where I got that one and picked out all the bigger more uniform ones lol. I'm hoping it's not just a seasonal thing. First time I noticed them was about a week before your post.
It really is fricken good ham. Not too salty, great texture and flavor.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Man I could go for a ham sammich. That looks great. Congrats on the rotator ride.

Reactions: smokin peachey
Looks great. That’s exactly how we do our hams. The wife sits there and eats the pineapple as I cut it haha. The 26” kettle is a game changer. As dumb as it sounds it’s crazy how much bigger it is than the 22” as far as space.
Yeah that 26" was surprising to me at how much more space it has. My old 22 has been getting lonely.

Man I could go for a ham sammich. That looks great. Congrats on the rotator ride.
Thank you. We had a lot of fun with it and the results were delicious.

I ran across a Kentucky Legend brand ham at Krogers much like the Fricks posted here. Smoked it and let it sit in the fridge over night. Ran it on my slicer about half of it med to thick slices and the rest paper thin for sammichs.
your ham with the pineapple and cherries looks mighty fine!

Jim
Kentucky Legend was a great product 20 years ago. The last 15 or so, I quit buying the brand. IMO quality went way downhill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky