Apple pie shine.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just curious Steve, what proof of the Everclear did you use? They make different proofs, but some are only available in certain areas. I think here where I live, the 151 proof is available...

This was 190 proof Everclear.

If you never warmed it give it a try. It only takes maybe 20-30 secs in a microwave. Use a safe glass or coffee mug.

Mmm warm apple pie! Remember this when it’s friggin 5 degrees outside and you’re stuck inside cursing winter. A little warm nip to soothe the soul and take the edge off.

If you never warmed it give it a try. It only takes maybe 20-30 secs in a microwave. Use a safe glass or coffee mug.

Mmm warm apple pie! Remember this when it’s friggin 5 degrees outside and you’re stuck inside cursing winter. A little warm nip to soothe the soul and take the edge off.

I'm going to give it try. Never had warm cider. Though I really like Gluehwein. Which is warm wine.

I just had it tested. Though, you can't use a hydrometer for this. We have a test device at work. And even with that the results are not positive because it isn't clear. And the sugar content in it.. I had it tasted and tested. The results were 76 proof. But we all agreed that it tastes stronger. Perhaps in the mid 80's. And everybody gave it a thumbs up! Which was the most important test!

Last edited:
Looks like a tasty recipe. I haven't touched liquor since the early to mid eighties so it would probably knock my socks off after one.

Chris

Looks like a tasty recipe. I haven't touched liquor since the early to mid eighties so it would probably knock my socks off after one.

Chris

It probably would! It does the same to seasoned drinkers as well!

Drop a cinnamon stick in a few (ceylon cinnamon) not that fake Cassia Cinnamon crap.
A'la mode add a little vanilla vodka.
I prefer Rootbeer or Green apple.

Drop a cinnamon stick in a few (ceylon cinnamon) not that fake Cassia Cinnamon crap.
A'la mode add a little vanilla vodka.
I prefer Rootbeer or Green apple.

Just mix 50/50 with the vanilla vodka? Sounds interesting. I have to be careful with cinnamon. The wife breaks out if it is too strong. The green apple sounds good. Again, just a 50/50 blend?

Very cool...much too sweat for this Type 2 diabetic, but I would love a recipe for the moonshine cherries...I imagine just take some Marciano cherries and add the everclear?

Very cool...much too sweat for this Type 2 diabetic, but I would love a recipe for the moonshine cherries...I imagine just take some Marciano cherries and add the everclear?

Not sure. I think you are right. But I do like this combo. My shine with store bought Moonshine cherries. A couple of those. And you can kick Godzilla's butt...
cherry.jpg

For ABV you need to do a little math, you can't use an Alcohol Hydrommeter.

You can steep a cinnamon stick in some everclear a few weeks then add that to your "shine", vanilla vodka can be added a few ounces at a time to each pint to get your desired results. You could also steep some "true vanilla beans"

Here are a few I have tried and have been tweaking over the years

“Apple Pie Moonshine 2"

• 1 Gallon of Apple Cider
• 1 Gallon of pure apple juice (I use Motts)
• 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (not packed)
• 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar (also not packed)
• 4 Cinnamon sticks
• 6 to 8 oz of clover honey (it’s not a lot but adds to the overall flavor and mouthfeel).
• 20 whole cloves
• 2 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract (the gourmet kind)
• 80 ounces (10 cups) of 190

“Apple Pie A La Mode”

Add to the above recipe,

Ingredients:
• ½ of a whole nutmeg (don't grate this, just use the chunk of nutmeg!)
• 4 whole cloves
• 4-8 vanilla beans, cut in half, remove seeds (I used vanilla extract due to cost)
• 6 cups whipped cream vodka!

Directions
Steep the vanilla, nutmeg and cloves in hot apple juice adding to the apple pie a little at a time until a desired taste is reached. If using extract, steep all but the extract and add the vanilla extract to the Apple pie after the spices. Add the Whipped cream vodka once everything is cooled and the neutral is added.

“Apple Pie Caramel Moonshine”

• 32 oz. Apple Pie Moonshine
• 16 oz. Butterscotch schnapps (try caramels RL)
• 3 oz. Lemon juice
mix and taste
Variation

• 20 "hard" caramel candies (unwrapped)
• 16 oz. Apple juice, or filtered cider
• 32 oz. Apple Pie Moonshine
• 16 oz. Caramel Vodka

Instructions

1. dissolve 20 caramel candies in simmering apple juice, cool then add to apple pie shine followed by caramel Vodka

I hope no one takes this to heart but it pisses me off that these companies are selling liquor labeled "Moonshine" it is not moonshine. Moonshine is a term used for the illegal production of liquor!
The TTB hasn't enforced any kind of labeling with the word "Moonshine" you know why, because it is taxed and the word sells, so they don't care!
https://bevlaw.com/bevlog/moonshine/

If you can get your hands on some real "moonshine" do that, the everclear has all the crap in it and will leave you with a hangover.

Better yet build one and make the best moonshine that you can never find in any store. There are a million plans on the internet.

For everyone other than the great folks of New Zealand, Just some food for thought mainly the folks in the states, you can own a still and use it for legal purposes such as distilling water and making botanical oils. You can also apply for a Fuel Alcohol Permit or Distilled Spirits Permit, but then it wouldn't be moonshine lol.

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
That's interesting. But I believe clifish clifish was asking about how to make spiked cherries.

It was a reply to your post #31

"Just mix 50/50 with the vanilla vodka? Sounds interesting. I have to be careful with cinnamon. The wife breaks out if it is too strong. The green apple sounds good. Again, just a 50/50 blend"?

The first line was in response to your Post #4

"She has a bang to it! If my math is correct. It should be hitting right around 46%, 92 proof. I'll find out tomorrow. A friend of mine has a Hydrometer. So I can find out for sure".

I see that in post #27, you realized that it can't be tested for ABV with a Hydrometer.

"I just had it tested. Though, you can't use a hydrometer for this. We have a test device at work. And even with that the results are not positive because it isn't clear. And the sugar content in it.. I had it tasted and tested. The results were 76 proof".

Also the hydrometer should be calibrated and the temperature of the alcohol being tested should be at the same temperature as the calibration for an accurate reading. In your case mixing with as you have, there's no need for all of that and simple math will do.

As far as the cherries go
Drunken Cherries/Cherry Bombs
Instructions
  • Pack cherries into a jar, filling it to the top.
  • fill the jar about 1/3 with sugar.
  • Fill with vodka and seal the lid.
  • to dissolve sugar leave out and shake every once in a while
  • Place jar somewhere in a dark place, check every few weeks to a month and shake.
  • best at 6 months.
If you use everclear, the cherries will be inedible!

Reactions: Steve H and clifish
It was a reply to your post #31

"Just mix 50/50 with the vanilla vodka? Sounds interesting. I have to be careful with cinnamon. The wife breaks out if it is too strong. The green apple sounds good. Again, just a 50/50 blend"?

The first line was in response to your Post #4

"She has a bang to it! If my math is correct. It should be hitting right around 46%, 92 proof. I'll find out tomorrow. A friend of mine has a Hydrometer. So I can find out for sure".

I see that in post #27, you realized that it can't be tested for ABV with a Hydrometer.

"I just had it tested. Though, you can't use a hydrometer for this. We have a test device at work. And even with that the results are not positive because it isn't clear. And the sugar content in it.. I had it tasted and tested. The results were 76 proof".

Also the hydrometer should be calibrated and the temperature of the alcohol being tested should be at the same temperature as the calibration for an accurate reading. In your case mixing with as you have, there's no need for all of that and simple math will do.

As far as the cherries go
Drunken Cherries/Cherry Bombs
Instructions
  • Pack cherries into a jar, filling it to the top.
  • fill the jar about 1/3 with sugar.
  • Fill with vodka and seal the lid.
  • to dissolve sugar leave out and shake every once in a while
  • Place jar somewhere in a dark place, check every few weeks to a month and shake.
  • best at 6 months.
If you use everclear, the cherries will be inedible!

You know your booze! I could have a sample distilled to check the %. Figured it was good enough! I didn't think everclear would be used for the cherries. Unless you cut it some.

Cant believe I missed this Steve thanks for posting!

Funny the Ole Smokey Shine distillery is about 25 miles from my house. You can go and pay $5 and sample all you want. My wife went with a friend a few weeks ago and brought back moonshine dill pickles. I'm personally not a huge fan like Sqwib said its not really "shine" per say but some of it is pretty tasty!

Got a buddy that makes the real stuff out in the woods. I trade him smoked cheese and bacon for quart jars of peach shine!

I do miss my days back in the woods of Arkansas. They really knew how to brew down there. It is kind of a insult calling this moon shine. But, hey. It isn't too bad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky