Pineapple Garlic Sriracha style sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
This sauce took me several days of tasting and adjusting. Early on I gave up on doing a knock off. I'm convinced there is a lot more to the Huy Fong process than us captured in any of the online recipes. I decided to put my own spin on it. I finally got my andy tasters seal of approval today. Here is the start of the ferment. Half gallons with 8oz of serrano and 16 oz of red jalapeno. Also a bit of red bell and a ghost pepper to turn it up a notch. 3.5% salt brine.
1000005274-01.jpeg
Here it is 14 days later ready to process.
PXL_20230926_155612451.jpg
Im not ready to share a recipe yet until I type up all my adjustments and also when I replicate it again. Good chance I missed something. Generally I have brine, white vinegar, minced and powdered garlic, salt. allulose (sweetener) fish sauce, pineapple flavoring and xanthan gum. Here is one of the batches finally ready to bottle.
1000005399-01.jpeg
This is much thicker than my normal sauces so I decided to pack in twist top squirt bottles. Yielded 10 8 oz bottles plus 5 oz leftover for sampling folks. It's a thick sweet sauce with heat and sweet up front followed by a hint of pineapple and garlic on the finish. Heat is above that of commercial Sriracha variations thanks to serrano's and ghost. Dropped the first bottle to my buddy for his birthday. His son goes to use it all lol, he loves it.
1000005442-01.jpeg
That's a wrap thanks for looking! Next week I've got a lot of sauce and fermenting work planned. I have a gallon green ferment, half gallon of my red savine habanero and quart of scorpion peppers all ready to process. I also need to get a batch of kraut started and have the local fresh cabbage on hand.

Interesting
Does the Huy Fong formula perhaps taste different with the added preservatives?
I have not purchased a bottle of the new Underwood Ranch sriracha from the grower that used to supply Huy Fong with the bulk of the ripe jalapeno required to produce the ubiquitous sriracha.

My garden jalapenos are slowly ripening.
The tomato in the bag of peppers did nothing except ripen the tomato.
Second round with a banana is doing better.

Reactions: jcam222
Interesting
I have not purchased a bottle of the new Underwood Ranch sriracha from the grower that used to supply Huy Fong with the bulk of the ripe jalapeno required to produce the ubiquitous sriracha.

I'm pretty sure the Huy Fong taste different because they changed the source of their peppers to Mexico. I have the Underwood Farms and they taste just like the original Huy Fong only slightly hotter.

That does sound like a winner. My fermenting air locks are still waiting for me to fall into this rabbit hole.

Looks great Jeff! I'm hearing that the Huy Fong sauce is back on the shelves to some degree. And people are saying it doesn't taste the same. It has a bitter aftertaste.

Oh man! That looks great, bet it tastes better. If there were more hours in the day I'd try makin sauces. For now I'll have to buy my stuff and leave the art up to fellas like you!!
Thanks! I'm glad everyone doesn't make it, helps pay for the habit lol
Outstanding looking sriracha Jeff!
Thanks! I'll be getting sauces out to you this coming week. May be later in the week as I'm making three new ones this week.
Interesting

I think it's hard to replicate the overall flavor of Huy Fong because the online recipes don't capture the process. As far as difference between the two time periods for Huy Fong I can't really say.
I'm pretty sure the Huy Fong taste different because they changed the source of their peppers to Mexico. I have the Underwood Farms and they taste just like the original Huy Fong only slightly hotter.
Could be the case. The flavor and heat of jalapeno varies greatly
You had me at Pineapple, that sounds great, and love the squirt bottle idea.

David
Thanks David! Yep squirt bottle is nice for this thicker stuff.
That does sound like a winner. My fermenting air locks are still waiting for me to fall into this rabbit hole.
It's a longgggggg fall haha
Looks great Jeff! I'm hearing that the Huy Fong sauce is back on the shelves to some degree. And people are saying it doesn't taste the same. It has a bitter aftertaste.
Thanks Steve. Interesting. The flavor of the various Sriracha varies a lot as does that of jalapenos. They burned the bridge to their supply.

Jeff you've become a real saucerer. Another fantastic looking and sounding sauce.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff you've become a real saucerer. Another fantastic looking and sounding sauce.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, it's an addiction lol
Saucerer......Hell, he's done moved up to plates...and got a bunch spinning at one time!!!! LOL!!!!
Haha I do have a lot of them going and just added a bunch of kraut today

Reactions: indaswamp
Love the label! Very nice touch.
What kind of pineapple flavoring do you use? Why not real pineapple? Not enough flavor in the end?
I've been making a sriracha knock off that I really like. Basically following the Serious Eats recipe with red jalapenos except doubling or more the garlic and I don't open it to stir. Just give a good swirl here and there. Not as hot as the actual sriracha but I like it as I can use more without burning up. I'm a wimp when it comes to the super hot stuff.
I really like the idea of getting some pineapple flavor in there. Sounds like it would go very well with the sriracha flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky