Pineapple Garlic Sriracha style sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Love the label! Very nice touch.
What kind of pineapple flavoring do you use? Why not real pineapple? Not enough flavor in the end?
I've been making a sriracha knock off that I really like. Basically following the Serious Eats recipe with red jalapenos except doubling or more the garlic and I don't open it to stir. Just give a good swirl here and there. Not as hot as the actual sriracha but I like it as I can use more without burning up. I'm a wimp when it comes to the super hot stuff.
I really like the idea of getting some pineapple flavor in there. Sounds like it would go very well with the sriracha flavor.
Thanks! All my sauces are no sugar added. That's why instead of pineapple post ferment I use pineapple flavoring. I use Oooflavors brand. I just had some of this sauce with wings and man a couple days of rest and it's even better than I thought. Glad I kept notes as I worked on the flavor for this for 3 days. Wish it wasn't so hard to get a hold of the red jalapenos.

It's a great recipe. I've been making it for years but adding more garlic like you. I also add a touch more sugar for more robust fermentation and a lower acid pH...
Good to know about the sugar. I had wondered if that would drop the ph much or if I would need to add more vinegar at the end.

Wish it wasn't so hard to get a hold of the red jalapenos.
I originally found them at H Mart (asian grocery chain) down near Atlanta. Luckily there is a hispanic local grocer in the next town over that has them. Much fresher and half the price.
Kinda funny. Years ago I grew some jalapenos a few times. Had a few turn reddish but tossed them as I assumed they would be way too spicy for my tastes. Boy was I wrong.

Reactions: jcam222
I originally found them at H Mart (asian grocery chain) down near Atlanta. Luckily there is a hispanic local grocer in the next town over that has them. Much fresher and half the price.
Kinda funny. Years ago I grew some jalapenos a few times. Had a few turn reddish but tossed them as I assumed they would be way too spicy for my tastes. Boy was I wrong.

I am curious what the price is over there compared to here. Everything costs more these days. H-Mart rocks by the way. My wife picked me up a pack of red jalapenos yesterday at $5.99 a pound which is the same price as it was in July from a small Filipino market close to our house.

You've certainly got the hot sauce stuff going on!! I can only imagine how fantastic the sweet and heat combination would be in that stuff. Label is off the charts cool too. BTW, made some sausage gravy and biscuits for mom a few days ago and she had some (quite a bit) of your Agent Orange sauce on hers and she just loved it. That makes two of us around here.

Robert

I am curious what the price is over there compared to here. Everything costs more these days. H-Mart rocks by the way. My wife picked me up a pack of red jalapenos yesterday at $5.99 a pound which is the same price as it was in July from a small Filipino market close to our house.
For at least the last year the red jalapenos have been $3.99 per pound at H Mart down near Atlanta. I'm kinda surprised they are 50% higher out there. Seems like it would be closer to the source so to speak. I guess it could be a higher cost of overhead though. Labor, taxes, ect.
The local hispanic grocer has them for $2.19 per pound. I hope they keep carrying them. There are a LOT of hispanic grocery stores around here and this was the first one I've seen them in. They also have a killer lunch counter in the back of the store and sell fresh made tamales and arepas on the weekends. I love that place. And it's only about 15 or so minutes from home.
I like H Mart for lots of stuff but it's a 45 minute drive and that's only during off peak traffic times.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
For at least the last year the red jalapenos have been $3.99 per pound at H Mart down near Atlanta.
Thank you for the reply. I guess that is just another part of living in the great state of California :emoji_cry:. I rolled back thru my pictures and in April I bought some red jalapenos from our closer Korean market and they were also $5.99/Lb. Our closest H-Mart is also a 45 minute drive in the best of conditions. It is nicer and larger than our closer one but the Galleria is only a 20 minute drive.

This sauce took me several days of tasting and adjusting. Early on I gave up on doing a knock off. I'm convinced there is a lot more to the Huy Fong process than us captured in any of the online recipes. I decided to put my own spin on it. I finally got my andy tasters seal of approval today. Here is the start of the ferment. Half gallons with 8oz of serrano and 16 oz of red jalapeno. Also a bit of red bell and a ghost pepper to turn it up a notch. 3.5% salt brine. View attachment 677411Here it is 14 days later ready to process. View attachment 677412Im not ready to share a recipe yet until I type up all my adjustments and also when I replicate it again. Good chance I missed something. Generally I have brine, white vinegar, minced and powdered garlic, salt. allulose (sweetener) fish sauce, pineapple flavoring and xanthan gum. Here is one of the batches finally ready to bottle. View attachment 677413This is much thicker than my normal sauces so I decided to pack in twist top squirt bottles. Yielded 10 8 oz bottles plus 5 oz leftover for sampling folks. It's a thick sweet sauce with heat and sweet up front followed by a hint of pineapple and garlic on the finish. Heat is above that of commercial Sriracha variations thanks to serrano's and ghost. Dropped the first bottle to my buddy for his birthday. His son goes to use it all lol, he loves it. View attachment 677414That's a wrap thanks for looking! Next week I've got a lot of sauce and fermenting work planned. I have a gallon green ferment, half gallon of my red savine habanero and quart of scorpion peppers all ready to process. I also need to get a batch of kraut started and have the local fresh cabbage on hand.
that looks like a winner. had to go back to top to read the pineapple part. How "pineapply" is the final?

that looks like a winner. had to go back to top to read the pineapple part. How "pineapply" is the final?
Really a hint of pineapple on the finish. Very subtle yet there for sure. First you get sweet, then heat and finish with garlic and the hint of pineapple.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky