1st pulled pork in MES question - NOW WITH Q-View

Discussion in 'Pork' started by maloff28, Aug 6, 2011.

1. maloff28

maloff28 Smoke Blower

I have done ribs, brisket and chicken wings in my MES 40 and had some good success.  I am about to try pulled pork.  Bought two boston butt's from costco.  About 12 pounds total.

Do you cook them directly on the rack or in  a foil pan?  I have seen it both ways in Q-View.  Top rack?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Cook them directly on a grate.

I like to trim the fat off & put it on a rack above the butts so it drips on the butts & self bastes them.

Good luck & don't forget the Q-view!

3. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

On the rack with a foil pan underneath. Smoke till 160 internal, foil and cook till 205 internal and wrap in a towel or put in a cooler for an hour or two. The bone should pull out clean at 205.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  4. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

X2

5. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Agree!

I cheat and finish in the oven, after it's foiled.

The bark will soften up in the foil, and if you want to harden it up a little, take the foil off and cook for the last 30-40 minutes.

Save the drippings, pour them in a bowl and throw them into the freezer for about 20 minutes.  Scrape off the fat, and save the rest to add back into your PP !!!

Todd

6. maloff28

maloff28 Smoke Blower

Put it in at 7 AM.  Rubed with mustard and a paprika and coca based rub.  On the rack, foil pan below.  Spraying with Jamaican Rum and Apple juice when I add chips.  Can't wait to see how it comes out.

My Costco only had boneless... would have liked bone in.  They have bone in at Publix, but i got 12 lbs at costco for the price of 6 at publix. 

7. smokinal

Don't forget the Q-view!

8. If you've mastered ribs, brisket, and chicken, butt should be no problem...awaiting qview!

9. maloff28

maloff28 Smoke Blower

The pulled pork came out excellent!  Foiled at 175 and took it off to rest at 190... just couldn't wait any longer.

Q-View Attached!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. smokinal

Looks delicious!

[​IMG]

11. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looks great. [​IMG]