or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky (Step by Step)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky (Step by Step) - Page 3

post #41 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVinegarPepper View Post
 

Hey Bear, looking good as always! I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I love that square wire rack you got. Where did you find a square one and about what are the measurements? That thing fits perfectly in that disposable pan. Gotta get on the Amazon and find me one! Might do my first chuckie this weekend.

Thank You!!

My "Old Step by Steps" are meant to be resurrected.

I call them Wire Cooling racks, but you can also find this size by typing this in a Web search "8" x 10" Half-Size Footed Draining Grate" (8" X 10" is called "Half Size")

 

Bear

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 

I still fear the Chucky. I've only tried smoking one once and it was a nightmare. But I plan to get back on that horse and ride it victory, most likely next summer. I don't do much smoking during the winter.

 

Actually I find Chuckies to be about 10 times easier to smoke than Briskets. They're more forgiving, similar to a Boston Butt.

 

Bear

post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 

Thank You!!

My "Old Step by Steps" are meant to be resurrected.

I call them Wire Cooling racks, but you can also find this size by typing this in a Web search "8" x 10" Half-Size Footed Draining Grate" (8" X 10" is called "Half Size")

 

Bear

 

 

Actually I find Chuckies to be about 10 times easier to smoke than Briskets. They're more forgiving, similar to a Boston Butt.

 

Bear


You're right. A chucky should be the easiest meat in the world to cook, being a boneless chuck roast. But for some reason I chose the chuck roast from hell. It stalled at 160° for something like 10 hours. Seriously. I took it out of the smoker, put in a convection oven for awhile, put it back in the smoker and after TWO days of trying I think I got the IT up to 182° or something. I finished it off again in an oven and it STILL wound up a little tough and chewy in some places. Small little bits teased me with the tenderness that should have permeated throughout the meat.

 

Of course that was also the smoke where I had to contend with my MES temp shooting up to over 300° because I forgot to clean the hi-temp limit switch beforehand.

post #43 of 51

I need to do another chuckie.

They are wonderful.

 

TW

post #44 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 


You're right. A chucky should be the easiest meat in the world to cook, being a boneless chuck roast. But for some reason I chose the chuck roast from hell. It stalled at 160° for something like 10 hours. Seriously. I took it out of the smoker, put in a convection oven for awhile, put it back in the smoker and after TWO days of trying I think I got the IT up to 182° or something. I finished it off again in an oven and it STILL wound up a little tough and chewy in some places. Small little bits teased me with the tenderness that should have permeated throughout the meat.

 

Of course that was also the smoke where I had to contend with my MES temp shooting up to over 300° because I forgot to clean the hi-temp limit switch beforehand.


I remember that, and I think it was 90% the problem you were having with your smoker that caused that.

 

Bear

post #45 of 51
Quote:Thanks Bear, got a chuckie in the freezer and in the next week or two I'll be following your steps.
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 
Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky

This is a New Step by Step for my collection:

Mrs Bear had a small (3.02 LB) Chuck Roast in the Kitchen Freezer, and she said she was going to thaw it out & make it in the Crockpot for Saturday’s Supper.
I dropped back from my Zone Coverage & made a Beautiful Interception for my MES 40. “Crockpot My Butt, I’m Smoking that thing!!!”

So after 2 days of thawing the following actions occurred:

Day #1 (Prepping)
3:00 PM————Rinse, Pat Dry, coat with Worcestershire “Thick”. Then some CBP, Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder.
3:10 PM————Put Roast on a Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan, cover with plastic wrap, and put in Fridge overnight.

Day #2 (Smoking)
8:15 AM————Preheat MES 40 to 240°, Fill 2 rows of AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.
9:00AM————Put Panned Chucky on second rack, and my Well Lit AMNPS on the bars to left of Chip Burner.
12:00—————Wipe my clean Maverick Meat probe with alcohol pad & insert in center of Roast. Internal Temp is now 148°
12:30PM———-IT is 151°
1:00PM————IT is 153°
1:30PM————IT is 154°
2:00PM————IT is 155°
2:30PM————IT is 160°—-AMNPS burned out, so I added my Foiling Juice (See "Note" Below) & Foiled it 5° early, instead of my usual 165°.
3:00PM————IT is 165°
3:30PM————IT is 180°
4:00PM————IT is 194°
4:15PM————IT is 200°—-Cut heat back to 100° and open door to drop heat in Smoker down below 150° to stop cooking. Close Door.
5:00PM————IT is 208°—-Remove Chucky from smoker, take to kitchen, Uncover & take pics, Pull Chucky apart.

More Pics, make Sammies, More Pics, and Eat. MMMMmmmmmm…………..

Also: Drain Juice from Pan, and put in Fridge to separate over night. Next day cut around the hard fat on top & pop it off to expose Awesome Au Jus.
Then after the first day, all reheated pulled beef gets heated up with some of that Au Jus added as needed.

Note: My Foiling Juice for this was simple:
2 ounces of Worcestershire Sauce (Regular)
4 ounces of Apple Juice.
Stir & Nuke to at least 150° before pouring it over Roast & Covering with Double Foil.


Enjoy & Thanks for looking,

Bear
 
PS:  Anyone following this Step by Step, please leave a comment at the end of this thread, and let me know how it worked for you. Thank You.




3.02 Pound Chucky @ $3.59 lb was intercepted on the way to the Crockpot !!!!





Doing this one in a Foil Pan, but on a wire rack to allow Smoke to surround it, 
and to keep it from laying in the juices:





Chucky Spiced up & Ready for an overnight rest in the fridge:





This is how I balance the heat from left to right in my MES 40.
A Maverick probe on each side, and my adjustable heat deflector below.





Chucky through the Window:





As you can see, I use electrical tape to keep the temp probes from moving inside the smoker:





Hard to see, but there is real nice TBS coming from the top vent:





Chucky fresh out of the smoker:





Pulled Chucky ready for some Sammies:





First Sammy with a little of Mrs Bear’s Simple Sauce on the roll:





Close-up of the meat for my First Sammy:





A slice of Cheese & some Hot Peppers finish this one off nicely:





Side view of the Foiling Juice from the Chucky, after removing from the fridge the next day:





The Fat in the dish & the Au Jus in the bowl, after cutting around & popping the fat off in one piece:



THE END
__________________
post #46 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish1st View Post
Thanks Bear, got a chuckie in the freezer and in the next week or two I'll be following your steps.

 

 

That's Great, Catfish!!

 

Just give me a yell (PM) if you run into a question!

 

Bear

post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 


I remember that, and I think it was 90% the problem you were having with your smoker that caused that.

 

Bear


With the other 10% being me.

 

Just looked at your photos. I will indeed climb back onto that chucky saddle and ride again!

post #48 of 51

Chuck roast is one of my favorite things to smoke.  Makes for great enchiladas, tacos, chili.  I don't fret the stall with chucks.  I have foiled as low as 150 degrees if I'm in a hurry.  Still turns out great.

post #49 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchracing View Post
 

Chuck roast is one of my favorite things to smoke.  Makes for great enchiladas, tacos, chili.  I don't fret the stall with chucks.  I have foiled as low as 150 degrees if I'm in a hurry.  Still turns out great.


Yup----Good stuff, Them Chuckies!!!

 

Bear

post #50 of 51
Bear,
I followed this recipe on technique rather than ingredients because I wanted to make poor man's burnt ends instead of pulling. I just used my rub with no other ingredients. I put the drippings in the fridge over night to separate the fat.

I foiled over the pan at an IT of 160*F, stopped applyimg Pecan Amnps smoke and closed the vent. I turned off the smoker when the Chuckie hit 180*F and left it inside. Over an hour and a half the Chuckie coasted up to 192*F and back down to 180*F. I cubed it at 140*F and added back the gelled drippings. I wanted try a one step smoke method instead of putting everything back in the smoker for more cooking/smoke. The rack and pan method is a great way to generate drippings for finishing sauces without soaking the meat in the juices, washing off the rub/bark. I'll have to start a new thread with a few pics I took.
-Kurt
post #51 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
 
 
Bear,
I followed this recipe on technique rather than ingredients because I wanted to make poor man's burnt ends instead of pulling. I just used my rub with no other ingredients. I put the drippings in the fridge over night to separate the fat.

I foiled over the pan at an IT of 160*F, stopped applyimg Pecan Amnps smoke and closed the vent. I turned off the smoker when the Chuckie hit 180*F and left it inside. Over an hour and a half the Chuckie coasted up to 192*F and back down to 180*F. I cubed it at 140*F and added back the gelled drippings. I wanted try a one step smoke method instead of putting everything back in the smoker for more cooking/smoke. The rack and pan method is a great way to generate drippings for finishing sauces without soaking the meat in the juices, washing off the rub/bark. I'll have to start a new thread with a few pics I took.
-Kurt


Thanks Kurt !!

I'm glad you like that method---I use the rack in Pan now for my Prime Ribs, Chuckies, Butts, and for Double Smoking Hams for those reasons you like.

 

I gotta make some of those Chucky Burnt Ends too!!!---Real Soon!

 

BTW: Thanks for the Points.

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky (Step by Step)