Zapp's Potato Chips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I know that I'm probably late to this party, but this week I discovered what I think is the best tasting potato chip I've ever eaten and I had never even heard of them. My wife brought home a small bag from a local sandwich shop that she didn't eat and I think that they are great. Zapp's kettle cooked and the variety was their Voodoo flavor. The chips are made in Gramercy, Louisiana, but they were acquired by Utz in 2011. They have unique names for their different flavors that include something specific to Louisiana and the Cajun culture such as Cajun Crawtator and Cajun Dill Gator-tators. Now I'm on a mission to find them in a store.

Never seen Zapp's sold around here. We do have Utz, but we prefer Humpty Dumpty.

Chris

My favorite chips. Sold nearly everywhere here. My favorite is the Cajun dill gator tater
So far the Voodoo is the only one I've tried. A Brickseek search says that Walmarts anywhere near me doesn't sell them. The search is on now for sure...

Reactions: TNJAKE
The Tops Grocery Store and Dollar General near me sell them. They are amazing. I've had Voodoo, Voodoo Heat and Cajun Gator Tator. The flavors are better than anything Lays makes.

It says my Walmart has them going there latter anyway I’ll check it out. On a side note seen a recipe for a baked chicken that uses these chips as a breading. Thinking it would be good on fish also

Zapp's headquarters is just 20 minutes down the hwy from me. Pass there all the time. Voodoo are good, but my all time favorite was the this one:
ent%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F07%2FZapps_Spicy_Creole_300.jpg

It is now one of the special flavors they bring back on occasion. It should be a permanent flavor IMO.

Funny thing about the voodoo chip, the flavor was an accident. one of the employees spilled a pallet of assorted flavorings with a fork lift. The employees scooped up some of the seasoning, mixed it up, walked down to the chip conveyor belt and pulled off some freshly fried chips. Then seasoned the chips with the mixed up spice and shared it with the employees and management. The rest is history.....most popular chip they make now.

Reactions: TNJAKE
It says my Walmart has them going there latter anyway I’ll check it out. On a side note seen a recipe for a baked chicken that uses these chips as a breading. Thinking it would be good on fish also
Bet it would! We use corn flakes for breading on baked chicken and love it! And crushed Lay's on top of a chicken and rice a roni dish we make. Pretty sure not gonna see any of those chips up here but sure like the names!

Ryan

The best chips ever in SouthEast PA used to be "Crouthamel's Prize Potato Chips" (Quakertown, PA), but Johnny & Jeanette split up, and a few years later they shut the Plant down.

Now I would say "Utz" is the best. Last Utz I bought was a box of 60 bags for $13.49. (1 ounce bags)

Bear

Potbelly sandwich shops carry them, just the small bags. My local grocery stores carry them, Naperville Illinois. Only tried a few flavors, they are excellent.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky