Yuzu Kosho Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Crambone1812

Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Family was in Japan and brought back some yuzo kosho - a paste made from chili peppers, yuzu peel and salt, which is then allowed to ferment. Yuzu is a citrus fruit kind of like grapefruit. I mixed some with olive oil, ginger and lemon juice and put it on these thighs for the weber kettle. I saved some of the marinade for then end, after searing them up. Definitely will do this again. I used about half as much smoke as I would usually (apple).

Attachments

• yuzu.jpg
    yuzu.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 37
  • kosho.jpg
    kosho.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 37
Sounds delicious! I switched a while back from soy to Ponzu sauce made from Yuzu and haven't looked back! (one of my secrets ingredients of my teriyaki). Haven't tried adding chili peppers for some heat instead of sweet. Must try!

Sounds delicious! I switched a while back from soy to Ponzu sauce made from Yuzu and haven't looked back! (one of my secrets ingredients of my teriyaki). Haven't tried adding chili peppers for some heat instead of sweet. Must try!
Nice! How do you feel about smoke with teriyaki? I think sometimes it doesn't really go together, and just use less. Maybe no smoke?

Nice! How do you feel about smoke with teriyaki? I think sometimes it doesn't really go together, and just use less. Maybe no smoke?

Yes. I am usually grilling vs. smoking when making teriyaki. I do like some grill flavor, but not usually heavy smoke. So, lately I go straight charcoal and no wood chunks. Lighter flavored woods are ok such as cherry or apple or other fruit woods.

First welcome from Nova Scotia,
that looks really good, is there a lot of heat to the paste.
David
Thanks for the welcome! I like this site! The paste is actually pretty hot - I think in Japan they use it in yakiniku (japanese bbq) on little chicken skewers. I'm still tinkering to adapt it to larger pieces. It's also very salty, so need to make sure the paste gets on early.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky