Yup, another n00b

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

soberguy

Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hey, folks. I'm from California, and starting to really get into BBQing. For now, just have a little propane grill. Been thinking about a smoker for a long time, and my plotting has finally begun. For now, just thinking about whether I'll buy or build, wood or charcoal, etc. You know, the classic debates.

So yeah, that's me.

Welcome SoberGuy, glad to have you here.
smile.gif

Hey Sober guy, My only suggestion is to get a cheap electric smoker and you'll be smoking tonight. You will be able to fix meal while building that big smoker. Good luck with all.

Welcome to SMF Guy... lots of articles/posts on the virtues and drawbacks of every type of smoker out there here... read up and make an informed choice!

Welcome to SMF you'll find lots of great info around here. Good luck finding your smoker.

Welcome from another So. Cal. member, you're gonna like it here at the SMF. Soberguy... I'll drink to that. Just jokin'.

I would recommend the CharGriller Smokin Pro for a few dollars you can make this model into a class A smoker!

The only reason I would disagree with Wayside is you don't get the same pleasure of a plate of AWESOME bbq from a electric smoker as you do the good old fashion charcoal/wood smoker (for some reason people don't give the same respect as they do to those that do it the old fashion way ???).

Also another thing I would start with is a nice pork shoulder these are some what hard to mess up and you are set to please!

Soberguy, Welcome to the SMF. You will get plenty of input on your decision. I did what Wayside did above to get started and it was great but have recently gotten a drum smoker.

I dont see any gassers steppin up ! he he

I just got started not to long ago and had got the gosm wide body, I had been using my grill as a makeshift smoker withsome decent results, ( that is until I actually got a smoker ). If you want the set it and forget it style then get gas of electric, I cant say about charcoal but it seems they would be more demanding.

it all boils down to what you want, because they all turn out great Q

your gonna luv it

My feeling on it was go traditional and go woood. I have an offset Brinkmann Smoke'n Pit Pro, though I hear the charbroil offset smokers are pretty good and a lot less expensive than the Brinkmann.

I like wood/coal better than gas in general though there are a lot of very seasoned smokers on this board that use LP.

Good luck with it.

Wow, y'all are quick! And I do appreciate the insight that's been offered.

What puzzles me, and I guess I need to search harder, is the difference between vertical and horizontal. I mean, I understand the concept. Does either have benefits or disadvantages in the design of the smoker, regardless of fuel source?

Welcome to the forum. Reguardless of what brand, style of smoker you buy, you will get great smokes from it. Some units may need modifications to the to make them work better. Now it may take a few smokes or more to get used to the smoker, and learn how the smokers works (each type/style will work differently). I have a gosm big block and love everything about it except one thing. If I want to smoke cheese in it, I can't. But there are mods I can do to help get the temps down.
Hope this helps.

I have had nothing but success with my horizontal Chargriller Smokin' Pro.
Offset firebox means I can mess with the fire, reset the coals etc, without losing a high percentage of heat from the smoking chamber. The mods cost me a grand total of 22 bucks and the thing gives you the woodsy flavor only charcoal can give, the flavor that comes to mind when you think 'smohhhhkk!'
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Welcome aboard SoberGuy, Whatever type of smoker you finally decide on you will mod it and make it your own. Wether you chose a gas, electric, charcoal or a stick burner will have a lot to do with your lifestyle and the area you have to work with. There is no best, for home use it what works for you. Good luck and get smoking.

Thanks, folks.

I'm seriously considering the Chargriller Smoking Pro, as I see a lot about it here. I think it will be a good starter for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky