Your Opinion Please...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the iceman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Sun Devil Country
I just found a 60 gal air compressor tank on Craigslist. The guy wanted $150 for it & I offered $100. We settled on $125.

My plans are to build a reverse flow this winter for a project. And yes, I plan on posting pics of the build.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

The question being, should I jump on that tank for that price? I've not seen a lot else out there in my area for any price.
Thanks for your opinion.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Have you tried a local propane dealer?? Many of them have tanks that are no longer safe for gas use, and if your smooth enough.. they may give you one for free!

I think it just kinda depends on what you can find in your area. Like drums some areas are just easy and cheaper than other places. Good luck with your build

Seems might steep. I can find a tank that size around here for about $40. If that's all you can find in your area, your options may be limited. Have you checked Craigslist?

LOL, thats were he found the tank.

I'd say that is too high. I'd keep shopping.

Hey Iceman,

I'm thinking that is a bit much for a 60 gallon tank. Unless there is a huge shortage of these in your general area, I would keep looking. Also, if you have any salvage yards around, you can sometimes score some pipe or tanks on the cheap.

I can't wait to see your final smoker...if you pimp it out anything like your Kegerator, it will be awesome.

Good luck.

Yes, that is too high for a tank that size. Like BBQ Engineer said, check your local scrap yard if you have one. I went to ours a few weeks back and found a 52"L x 24"dia x 1/2" thick pipe. All they want for it is 50 bucks. So many deals can be found at the junk yard for sure.

Ok, you guys managed to talk me out of it. I'll keep looking. I guess my build will have to wait a while longer.

Thanks for the input guys.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I agree with the others. I gave $40 for the 120gal (Propane tank) and just picked up a 250 gal for $40 too. Agree with Racey, check your local dealer I am finding out they give them away, but I also understand the larger ones are hard to get because the buddy system works first on those. If you are close to me I can get you fixed up for $40.

You guys were right, it pays to be patient.

I found a pair of 100# propane tanks for $50. They measure about 48in long by 15in dia. A little smaller than I had envisioned but I think it will work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky