Your Favorite Pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
hmmm I need to do more research on how to get these lumberjack pellets in Utah. seems like a better deal and all the endorsements here make them seem hard to beat.

Hey!

Took everyone's advice on the Lumber Jack and ordered 200 pounds. If it's hard to get in your area, Dick Sporting Goods has them for $10 bucks a bag right now with FREE home delivery for orders over 25 bucks.

Definitely a steal where I live. Happy shopping.

Reactions: texomakid
I get mine through bbqpelletsonline.com. You need to buy 520# minimum. Price varies based on where you are located due to shipping costs. Prices shipped to California are currently around $8/20lbs

Reactions: Steff3
I had never even heard of Rural King, but I did a search and there was one about an hour away. Went out today and picked up 120lb of Comp Blend @ $8.88 per bag! They had less than half the "flavors", but for the price as long as they stock the Comp I wont complain. I'll probably stick to Comp Blend if they're good (I'll find out tomorrow). Thanks for the heads up!

I like the bear mountain gourmet blend. And coastal farm has them on sale often enough. I picked up 12 20lb bags a couple weeks ago for $80.

I have only used Lumber Jack (only had the pellet smoker for a week) and bought them because of what people say about them. They appear to be really good and real smokey. Bought 100% Pecan, 100% Apple, and Competition blend from Dicks on sale for $9.99 and then later when they went down to $8.99. The flavors were limited as it seems they are just trying to get rid of them.

220 pounds in total.

Lowe's has Pit Boss/Louisiana Grill competition blend pellets for $14.99 for 40# bag - I was going to grab a few but noticed that no one mentioned them in this thread! The local Dick's still has the Lumberjack (also competition blend) pellets at $10 for 20# bag... while I love a bargain I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a better product. Thoughts? Am I worrying about it too much??

Whatever is cheapest. I've used hundreds, if not thousdands of pounds of pellets for many many years and haven't found much of a difference honestly. I use bear mountain a lot as they're $9.99/20lb(that's regular, not sale price) and they review well and I don't have to drive far to get them. They do sell the lil' devil posted above at winco for $4.98/20lb and i've been meaning to try that. Lowes somewhat recently started getting a variety in and they're just down the street from my work so that's convenient. But whatever is cheapest.
Both lil devil and bear mountain are made in Oregon. I think traeger pellets as well.

Last edited:
Lowe's has Pit Boss/Louisiana Grill competition blend pellets for $14.99 for 40# bag - I was going to grab a few but noticed that no one mentioned them in this thread! The local Dick's still has the Lumberjack (also competition blend) pellets at $10 for 20# bag... while I love a bargain I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a better product. Thoughts? Am I worrying about it too much??
They are garbage. Dont use them. Major regrets. All filler wood.

Just have a comment (albeit a bit late): I tried the Bear Mountain pellets on sale for, if I remmember correctly, $5. Never again, ended up with a ton of pellet dust all over the smoker. It was pretty windy that day so not sure if that was the problem but haven't bought them again! At $8.88 LJ at Rural King, and the fact that works pretty good in may Windwood smoker I'm sticking with LJ.

Just have a comment (albeit a bit late): I tried the Bear Mountain pellets on sale for, if I remmember correctly, $5. Never again, ended up with a ton of pellet dust all over the smoker.

I ran Pit Boss last cook. Cleaned out the smoker today and there was a lot more ash than when I use Lumber Jack.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky