Yonder vs Horizon Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
From talking with the owner of Horizon he said the 16" is a bit small and he has people selling the 16"and coming back for the bigger model. It really depends what you are looking to cook. Since I wanted the ability to do a turkey I knew I needed a 20". Mine is scheduled to ship this week, finally.

Thanks. Size isn't a huge concern for me. It's just me and my two daughters for most smokes. And I have a few other smokers that I could turn to if I need more headroom or space.

On a side note, how is smoked turkey? I usually fry mine and love the taste but a smoked turkey sounds like something that I need to add to my list.

Thanks. Size isn't a huge concern for me. It's just me and my two daughters for most smokes. And I have a few other smokers that I could turn to if I need more headroom or space.

On a side note, how is smoked turkey? I usually fry mine and love the taste but a smoked turkey sounds like something that I need to add to my list.

I really like smoked turkey. Have done it the last few years on the Weber. Looking forward to doing it on the offset. Plan on trying the spatchcock route this year. Will do 2, One for me and one for someone else.

Reactions: Faarg
All,
New to this board but not to smoking/BBQ'ing. I've used all sorts of smokers and have 5 different ones at the current time but my standard one I use 90% of the time is getting old and worn out. I currently have an original OKJ and it's bad ass but thinking its time for something new that is under $1k. I know there are many bad ass ones over that price but don't need one for that cost as I have access to a few of those ones any time I need/wish to smoke that much BBQ.

I know the story with OKJ and don't really like the design/how they are made today since they were sold out years ago and made in mass like in an assembly line much like cars are today.

From what I've found so far for my options that are close to or under the $1k mark are either:

1. Yonders
2. Horizon

NOT looking for pellet, just regular offset smokers....

What's everyones thought on those 2 brands? I know much about where the Horizon smokers come from (history) just haven't used/smoked on one.

If there is another brand out there for the cost please let me know as I'd like to look at the make as well.

Thanx for any/all input!

Cheers!
I love my Bayou Classic. Go on YouTube and check out the videos.

All,
I went 180 out and purchased a new 36 Hybrid Lang. More $ but after more research and seeing a few in action decided to pull the trigger. I'll never go back to anything else. My only mistake is I didn't get a large enough one and now kicking myself for not and think that I will end up having Ben build me something like a MOD 38 hybrid delux on a patio cart.
Here's my 36...
4.jpg

Reactions: phatbac
All,
I went 180 out and purchased a new 36 Hybrid Lang. More $ but after more research and seeing a few in action decided to pull the trigger. I'll never go back to anything else. My only mistake is I didn't get a large enough one and now kicking myself for not and think that I will end up having Ben build me something like a MOD 38 hybrid delux on a patio cart.
Here's my 36...View attachment 459123
As someone with the same smoker i agree shes a beast! congrats on the new purchase you are going to love the food she produces!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I think Horizon is the better deal . Most models of both are built with 1/4 inch steel but be carefull I think the smaller unit from Yoder is 1/8 steel .I think Yoder paints the inside of there smoker which Horizon don't . I would not want paint inside my smoker peeling off and going onto the meat . Also if you compare prices and sizes of each Horizon is much cheaper for the same product . I did a lot of research on this and ended up buying the Horizon 24 inch Marshal from Bass pro with free shipping . I am so happy with my smoker.

I'm in Tampa, FL so think both are a long way. I do have a question on the Horizon's though...I see Bass Pro sells them...I assume that the ones they sell are the same ones that you buy direct from the actual Horizon company? If so I have a Bass Pro 10 minutes from the house. I wouldn't even have to pay shipping....
I ordered a Marshall "24 from Bass Pro about a month ago. Still have to pay shipping from OK as the smoker is dropshipped. After watching various videos and reviews (boringbabyboomer on Youtube has a great one) I added the diffuser plate. Eagerly awaiting delivery as this is my first high quality "real deal" smoker.

Thanks for the back story. They look very similar, too. There's a few things I like about some of the Horizons -- the grate-levels smoke stack on the Icon, fewer complaints about airflow -- but the Yoder also looks great. Hence the difficulty of making the call :)
The product engineer at Yoder basically stole the design. Told the company he was moving for family reasons, then asked if he could buy some components to build his own smoker, and reverse engineered the smoker. Some bad blood between the companies.

I ordered a Marshall "24 from Bass Pro about a month ago. Still have to pay shipping from OK as the smoker is dropshipped. After watching various videos and reviews (boringbabyboomer on Youtube has a great one) I added the diffuser plate. Eagerly awaiting delivery as this is my first high quality "real deal" smoker.

Congrats. I am really happy with mine and use it every week. The diffuser plate is great. I was able to do a pizza on the side closest to the firebox at 500 and beef ribs on the other side at 275.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky