Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah, Todd, I'm surprised you mentioned Bear Mountain.  That's the stuff I was having some problems with.  I actually prefer your pellets.

Working on my tan in Colorado.

~Dave
Even though I'm not a big fan of Bear Mountain, I thought Joe might be using them for "Fuel" in his New Yoder.

I did pick up a great line of pellets, and just not set up for large shipments...Yet!  That's next on my list!

I just hate to see someone pay $40 for a bag of "Blended Pellets"

TJ

Yeah, Todd, I'm surprised you mentioned Bear Mountain.  That's the stuff I was having some problems with.  I actually prefer your pellets.

Working on my tan in Colorado.

~Dave

Hey Dave,

Remember your a lot closer to the sun up there in Colorado.
icon_lol.gif
  Give the other "Smokin" site a try again and let me know if it works for you this time.  It is working for me again.

Joe 

Yep, all is good now.  Too bad Mark is so heavy handed with his criticism. 

It's not just the closer to the sun part, it's also oxygen deprivation as well.  Did discover some new beers,  already figuring out the load plan in the truck to bring a few cases back and also several large bottles of Maker's Mark.
yahoo.gif
Washington State has very repressive taxes on Liquor.  40$ in Colorado is 69$ + in Washington.  Oops, now the secret is out about the annual trips.  Oh, and the kids are taking me to some "real" meat markets, finally.  Ellymae's Beef Short Ribs sure jumped onto the short list of smokes to do here.

~Dave

Hey Dave,

Remember your a lot closer to the sun up there in Colorado.
icon_lol.gif
  Give the other "Smokin" site a try again and let me know if it works for you this time.  It is working for me again.

Joe 

Great, and yep it is to bad Mark came down so hard.

HMMMM forgot about that lack of Oxygen thing.  New BEERS, mabye you should figure on bringing some down when you come to check out the Yoder.  And yes I highly recommend finding a place for a few bottle of your choice in Adult Beverages.  I highly recommend you pick up a small bottle of Pendleton Whiskey and try it while you are back there, if you can find it that is.  I think it's better than Makers Mark.  And I to bring my yearly supply back from out of state each year.

Gonna get some more Bacon going early next week.  I'm also going to talk to the place I buy my sausage and see what he does with the Pork Belly Skins when he makes Bacon.

Joe

Yep, all is good now.  Too bad Mark is so heavy handed with his criticism. 

It's not just the closer to the sun part, it's also oxygen deprivation as well.  Did discover some new beers,  already figuring out the load plan in the truck to bring a few cases back and also several large bottles of Maker's Mark.
yahoo.gif
Washington State has very repressive taxes on Liquor.  40$ in Colorado is 69$ + in Washington.  Oops, now the secret is out about the annual trips.  Oh, and the kids are taking me to some "real" meat markets, finally.  Ellymae's Beef Short Ribs sure jumped onto the short list of smokes to do here.

~Dave

New BEERS, mabye you should figure on bringing some down when you come to check out the Yoder.  And yes I highly recommend finding a place for a few bottle of your choice in Adult Beverages.  I highly recommend you pick up a small bottle of Pendleton Whiskey and try it while you are back there, if you can find it that is.  I think it's better than Makers Mark.  And I to bring my yearly supply back from out of state each year.

A few?  Joe, you're a piker.  Sounds like a run over to Lukas Liquor is in order to set up a taste comparison.

A few?  Joe, you're a piker.  Sounds like a run over to Lukas Liquor is in order to set up a taste comparison.
HAHAHAHAHAHA if you had seen the basement of my MH when it pulled into Lynden last spring you wouldn't be calling me a piker.
th_crybaby2.gif

Took a week off and headed over the mountains to the town of Leavenworth, WA.  Sure missed being able to do any smoking while I was gone, but the Yoder is cranking as I type.  Picked up a couple of Eye of Round Roasts yesterday.  Tenderized them, as well as one of my fingers, and then bagged them up with a bit of Soy Vay Veri, Veri, Teriyaki.  Put them on this morning about 11:15 and they are just hitting 155 degrees at 4:00pm.  Gonna have a chunk of it for dinner then deep chill and slice the rest up for Lunch Meat.  I know without qview it didn't happen, but I'll enjoy eating it anyway.
yahoo.gif

Joe

I think the addition of the upper rack is very smart and looks to almost double your cooking area.  What was your opinion of the heat at the upper rack?  Any difference from the lower rack? 

I'm in the mood for a new smoker and am having a VERY hard time deciding which way to go.  Love the Backwoods and the Pitmaster, but wonder about chasing temp with a charcoal smoker, but also love the pellet grills - the convenience.  Looked at GMG and Yoder and the Yoder sure looks great.  Have a couple friends with Traegers and have eaten the food cooked on them... darn good. 

I have had my Yoder 640 since the fall. Sad to say I have had a couple of burps along the way. First was escaping smoke. This is best seen in the early morning when the sun back lights the smoker. You can actually feel the pressure from the fan blowing the smoke out. I wrote them on it and was told by Joe "This smoke is normal as there is a small opening from the hopper into the cooking chamber. This shouldn't cause any effect on the way the cooker performs." Anybody else notice this?

After about my 5th use the silicone seal just above the burn box came loose.

Not pretty. They sent a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper High Temp RTV Silicone. I cut out the loose material with a razor, cleaned and degreased with brake cleaner. Here is the finished repair. Took about an hour.

Today is clean out day so I will see how it is holding up.

I do have smoke leakage around the left edge of the door. You can see it here.

Let's see what else.. ahh yes, it has turned itself ON twice. They recommend that it be unplugged when not in use. First time was a hot day, so I thought maybe it got hot enough to start the fan. I am in Arizona! The second time was a very cold night. So that is all up in the air….

And don't, don't purchase their bult in analog temperature gauge! Mine is reads low over 50° all the time. Usless.

All that aside it is a sweet cooker. First baby backs and a couple of chicken breasts in the corner. And yeah that is a Smokin Tube in the background.

Eat well, Timan

Got my Yoder 640 a couple months ago. Like it a lot. Have same issue as Timan with smoke leakage near firebox. Temps don't seem to fluctuate and I think it's all wind related, I'm on the coast. Glad to see wheel casters were updated, the old ones on this thread look too small. Finally found a butcher close by that sells full packers and made killer brisket. Really like this smoker because I don't have to foil, stalls on butts and brisket are less than an hour.

Nice i like that, looking for a new smoker to add to the arsinal
sausage.gif
was looking at those kamodo style units. I'm a big fan of the wood and charcoal but also have a couple electric's  .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky