Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So, does this mean you don't need your GOSM anymore?  I know someone
biggrin.gif
  just north of you who'd be very glad to take the smoking grates off your hands...

Thanks Guys, I'm enjoying the learning curve with it.  Dave, as for my GOSM, not done with it yet.  

Congrats on the Yoder. I hope it continues to perform to your satisfaction. The Yoder people are good folk. I hope word keeps spreading about their products. Never been disappointed.

WOW I've now had my Yoder YS 640 for 8 days and this thing is FANTASTIC.  The 40 lb. bag of pellets that came with it are gone and then some.  So far I've done Smoked Salmon, Grilled a Steak, slow cooked 8 racks of Baby Backs, and then quick cooked 6 more racks of Baby Backs.  On Saturday it ran for 10 hours straight and then did another 6 hours on Sunday. All of the food that has come off this unit has gotten rave reviews by the folks that ate it.  It has continued to hold the set temperature to + or -  4 degrees, except when I opened or closed the exhaust to much.  I'm still in the learning stage with this unit, but am having a ball with it.   Not only does this unit look good, it cooks good.

Very Cool Joe!

I've always said good tools make the job easier.

Sounds like you've found a great pellet smoker

Todd

Thanks Todd, Dave if I keep running this thing like I have so far I'm liable to have to get another full time job.
th_crybaby2.gif
    But the meat that comes off of it will be worth it.
yahoo.gif

I'm seriously considering a pellet smoker/grill, and the Yoder is top on my list!

- Built like a tank

- Great Smoking Ability

- Built in USA!!!!!

Todd

I'm seriously considering a pellet smoker/grill, and the Yoder is top on my list!

- Built like a tank

- Great Smoking Ability

- Built in USA!!!!!

Todd
Todd, I agree 110% with all 3 of your items.  And the company has been very responsive so far.  It works as good as your Amazen Pellet Smoker.
yahoo.gif

Ok, I've had this unit for 2 weeks now.  So far I've only run into 2 minor problems.  1st one is that the Heat Shield is just a tad wider than can be covered with 18" Aluminium Foil, so have to use 2 pieces folded together, not really a big deal.  2nd one is a bit worse, the residue in the Fire Pot can set up hard enough that you can't get another fire started, ie the new pellets just sit on top of it and the Hot Rod can't get them going.  Not to big a deal, just slide the Heat Shied down a bit and reach in with some long tool and stir the pot up a bit, reset the Heat Shield and hit the start switch.

Now I've had this thing going quite a bit already.  I've used over 70 pounds of pellets so far. I've used pellets from 3 different manufactures and they have all worked fine, but I am going to go to BBQers Delight for pellets from now on.  Just a couple of bags of the others to use up first. Over the 4th of July weekend I ran it 10 hours one day and 6 hours the next without a hiccup. 2 batches of Smoked Salmon, 16 racks of Baby Back Ribs, SEARED a Steak, 2 Fatties,  and 2 Yard Birds so far.  Everything has come out FANTASTIC.  So I'm giving this unit a 4.95 Star, out of 5 Star, rating right now.

Joe

That's a lot of pellets.  I didn't realize BBQers Delight had pellets available in bags bigger than the cute little bags you see at Freddies.  Where do you get the larger quantities???????  (And what price?)

I've used over 70 pounds of pellets so far. I've used pellets from 3 different manufactures and they have all worked fine, but I am going to go to BBQers Delight for pellets from now on.  Just a couple of bags of the others to use up first.
Joe

Yep it is a lot of pellets, but I've been running it pretty heavy.
439.gif
  Getting ready to go fire it up again to cook a bit of dinner.  BBQers Delight lists 10 lb bags on their website, but there was a 40 lb bag that came with the grill so I've emailed them for more information.

That's a lot of pellets.  I didn't realize BBQers Delight had pellets available in bags bigger than the cute little bags you see at Freddies.  Where do you get the larger quantities???????  (And what price?)

Yeah, they got some flavors I'd like a little more of than those 1 lb bags for 4.99 each.  I'll catch you on the flip side.  I think while I'm in the Denver Metro area, I'm gonna see if I can find a WSM, 22.5, of course.  Fraid I got bit by the lump bug.  Fact, I managed to find enough space in the load plan to stow away 4 bags of Royal Oak, just in case.  Your Yoder looks very interesting but it doesn't fit my profile right at the moment.  I do know I'm sure glad you're happy and back in the smoking world.  The last year or so, you sure were struggling with that other pellet machine.  After I get back from Colorado, I'm going to have to come down and see that new water line you put in.  Course if you just happen to be smoking or grilling at the time, I'll be sure to bring a knife and a fork.

~Dave

Thanks Dave, you and your Bride Travel Safe.  I'm still looking for something I can take with me in the MH.  Just haven't found anything that fits good YET.  Did a Pork Chop on it last night for dinner, MMMMMMMMMMMM GOOOOOOOD.

Pellet Grill Outlet is out your way and they have pellets.

Did you check with them?

Shipping should be cheaper

How About Bear Mountain?

Todd

Hew,

Thanks I'll check them out a bit more later.

Todd,

Thanks for the heads up on PGO.  They are close, well 250 miles, but closer than most and they carry Full Flavor Pellets.  I have some Bear Mountain and they are Alder base.  Not to bad, but don't burn as well in the AMNPS as the Treager.  Really like the idea of full flavor wood pellets though.

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky