Yet Another New Guy - Omaha

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aerycks

Original poster
May 25, 2006
Omaha, Nebraska
Greetings all. Not only am I new to the forums, but I am also new to smoking. I had been lamenting to my wife for years how I wanted to switch back to charcoal, and low and behold, shee buys me a new grill/smoker for my birthday. I now own a Brinkman Grill King Deluxe. The only problem is that I have NEVER smoked a piece of meat in my life. Where do I begin? Also, do I really need to cure my grill before I ever use it?

Howdy Aerycks. Welcome to SMF, you couldn't have picked a better place to learn about smoking meats. I would suggest signing up for Jeffs smoking e-course, it's a wonderful primer for newbies as well as reading some of the posts here to give you an idea of where you want to start. As for your grill you do need to season it first. There should be instructions about this in your owners manual but most of the time you just lightly coat the inside with veggie oil and then start a fire. Let it set at 250 for a couple of hours and then let it cool down compleatly. Some manufacturers have different suggestions but I belive this is how we did both our ECB and Smoke 'N Pit, both Brinkmans. Enjoy your new smoker.

Welcome Aerycks, Lady J is right-you have found the best place for the "How-To" of smoking foods. After you have sampled some of the topics and seen what other have done, I would suggest starting with a pork butt and doing some pulled pork sandwiches. Pork butts are more forgiving for a novice smoker-chickens are good too as you can achieve some good results while using a higher temp.

You might want to check the Charcoal Smoker forum in the Smoking Supplies and Equipment.

Always feel free to post your questions about smoking and 'queing-somebody will stop by and give you answer.

Welcome Aerycks, LadyJ and Dutch are right, You'll get a lotta help here. I am lucky to have found a great place to share and learn the art of smoke'en..

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky