Yet another First Time Brisket! Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fred123

Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Looking forward to smoking my first brisket! I had aquick question, due to lack of availability i have 2 3.5 lb briskets that ill be putting in my webber. How should i adjust my approx timing for cooking, if at all, for having 2 pieces of meat in there instead of one. Any other recommendations?

Fred123,

Welcome to SMF.

My thoughts are that 2 3.5 lb briskets would cook in a little less time as 1 7 lb one. The mass would be offset by the increased surface area that will absorb heat. Please be aware that cooking by time is just a guideline. To be absolutely sure of doneness you need to know the temp of the cooking meat.

Remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. The friendly folks here will make answer to any and all questions. We love pics if you can post them of your cook.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Thats kind of what i figured. I like to use time as a loose guideline. Ill be sure to post pics and be an active member, im glad i found it here. Im overall fairly new to smoking myself but have always loved having it cooked for me!!

Thanks and im sure ill have some more questions!

Cooking them both at once won't effect the time each one takes to cook much if any since they are so small especially. The best way by far is to monitor the internal temp of each one. Do you have meat thermometers to do this? Personally, I don't think time means much at all with briskets and butts more so than anything.

If you have thermos take them up to around 165-170 then foil and continue to 190-195 internal. Rest them wrapped in towels in a cooler for at least an hour if possible. When you foil them put a little apple juice, beer, or whatever liquid you spray/mop with in the foil before wrapping them. I've heard of some folks even using coffee.

If you don't have thermos you can check them with a fork or probe of some kind. When it slides in with virtually no resistance they should be ready. I would still let them rest an hour to re-distribute juices with the second method.

Welcome to SMF Fred!!! When you get a chance, pop up to Roll Call and introduce yourself.

That is correct. Time is only a guide line.... and only that. I cooked 4 one time. They all weighed in at 14 lbs, plus or minus 4 ozs. It took me quite a lot of searching to find them all that close. I wanted them to finish at the same time. What a shock I had. The first one was done in 9 hrs.... the last took 21 hrs. So you can see, not to use the time factor to close. I did use my thermometers, and kept my cooking temps abt 225-250.... most of the time it was abt 235.

Good luck, be sure and tell us how it went.

Bill

mrgrumpy,
That's amazing! Good data that clearly demonstrates the differences in similar cuts of meat from different animals ..... 9 to 21 hours.... very interesting. I have seen similar (but not as dramatic) differences in pork butts. Great example of how time in the smoker recommendations are indeed just a guide. The proof is in the thermometer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky