Yeah, I can believe it's not butter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mlk18

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Great Plains
So as I sit here watching grilling/smoking YouTube video after YouTube video, from pit masters to backwoods hillbilly cookers (the kind I trust the most), and I see people pouring Parkay and other squeezable yellow garbage onto otherwise good looking ribs and other meats. That's like having a young Lynda Carter offering to take you out to a nice restaurant and you saying "No thanks, Rosie O'Donnell is stopping over with an expired gas station egg salad sandwich". I can only presume these people also pour ketchup on steaks and believe that bacon should be made from turkey. How is there not some kind of social program to bring dairy awareness to those people indoctrinated by country crock illuminati? I am thinking about starting a Go Fund Me page to help raise money to get these poor misguided soles the real Irish & Dutch creamery butter that the so desperately need in their lives.

I must be missing something. Is it just to make it shiny, like the meat equivalent of car wax? It's incredibly unhealthy lab created fake food and in my never so humble opinion tastes like it came out of the North end of a South bound farm animal. Margarine tastes as close to butter as textured vegetable protein tastes to ground chuck.

Reactions: PPG1
It's really just to add in moisture and increase richness. Also helps the brown sugar to melt if you use that during wrap. And as far as the health aspect of bbq.......well it's not good for you regardless of what you do to it lol. I don't use parkay for at home smoking. Just at comps

Parkay doesn't break like butter, has a higher smoke point than butter , adds moisture, helps melt the sugars in the rub, and also helps to keep the sugars from caramelizing and possibly burning and it will help set the bark. Parkay is a tool, not a rule. Competition barbecue has so many intense flavors going on any butter flavor is lost.

I prefer using unsalted butter during one step on my competition style thighs, but my goal is to get as much flavor into the thighs, and allow the skin to have the perfect bite. You really only get one bite, maybe two if a judge really likes your chicken.
x5adMDr.jpg
fBcQRkP.jpg

Most of the BBQ teams use squeezable butter, so I tried it a couple of times. But I found I like real butter better when I wrap ribs. Which by the way I don’t do too much anymore, unless someone is coming over that likes FOTB ribs. Then I do one rack for them & one unwrapped for the rest who like a bit of a bite.
Al

Never use plastic butter out of a squeeze tube.......that Parkay stuff is rank it dosen't even taste like butter it taste like corn to me.

If I use anything its homemade Ghee made out of Kerry Gold butter, Ghee has 482* smoke point it's 180* higher than butters 302* smoke point and adds great flavor.

Never use plastic butter out of a squeeze tube.......that Parkay stuff is rank it dosen't even taste like butter it taste like corn to me.

If I use anything its homemade Ghee made out of Kerry Gold butter, Ghee has 482* smoke point it's 180* higher than butters 302* smoke point and adds great flavor.
download.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky