WTB - Wi-Fi smoker thermometer (non-bluetooth)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncsmoker95

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Hi all....

I'm looking around to see who knows of a Wi-Fi barbecue thermometer.

My trusty old ink bird four probe Bluetooth one is starting to become flaky.
I find that I don't like Bluetooth because I live in a house with thick rock walls on the 1st floor and all I have to do is get one of those rock walls between me and the smoker out in the driveway and I can no longer receive the Bluetooth signal.

So I'm looking around on Amazon and it seems very difficult to find anything that isn't Bluetooth or seems unclear as to which Wi-Fi technology is used.

I don't care about having an app on my phone I have every intention of setting the thing up to attach to my home Wi-Fi and hopefully the thermometer would allow me to pull the temperatures using some form of Internet of things protocol via a radio receiver or something like that.

But for now it would work to simply have a remote unit that would be using Wi-Fi and some way to see the temperatures farther inside the house than Bluetooth will reach.

I am contemplating various IOT projects to roll my own thermometer with a raspberry pi and probes but it's been a little challenging figuring out how to interface the probes I've got and honestly the ink bird probes are big what is beginning to die anyway and become inaccurate.

Lots of articles on how to IOT your own temperature probe with a raspberry pi but not very many of them seem to successfully use food grade probe devices.

So for now I'd like to just buy a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat and have at it.

Thanks tim

I recently purchased the Inkbird 4-probe WiFi thermometer from Amazon, Model IBBQ-4T

it runs off the 2.4 ghz wifi band in my home network. Only used it one cook so far, but I like it.

If there's something from the instructions I can take a photo of and post, please ask. I don't have a scanner available to me.

Thanks for the replies everyone....

For now I picked up a Maverick at home depot.
I can receive the data on that at a better range, And can receive it with a software defined receiver as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky