WTB- Kamado Joe or BGE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WisconsinCampChef

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 23, 2019
Edgerton, Wi
Hello,

I am located in southern Wisconsin and have been looking for a Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe ceramic grill. I would be interested in mainly smaller units nothing bigger than the Large size of either model. If anyone knows of anything let me know!

I've cooked on BGE's for 15+ years, I have a large and a small in my arsenal of grills and smokers. In those days, there were only a couple of brands to choose from, and now there quite a few.

I don't think you could go wrong with any ceramic cooker, you just need to compare features (which will be similar), warranty, factory accessories, and after-market accessories, price and availability. I can tell you ceramic grills are very versatile... griling, smoking/barbecuing, roasting, baking, wokking (if that is a word for cooking on a wok?). I also use some vintage cast iron griddles, pans and even a camp oven on occasion. Baking essentially means that anything you bake in your oven is possible, pizza, biscuits, cornbread, lasagna, enchiladas, Big Green Eggplant parm, mac and cheese, baked beans etc., etc. I've never baked sweets because they need the cleanest burning fires. I have done all night cooks when the temp is -25° actual, and I've done lo-n-slo cooks where one load of charcoal lasted 18 to 20 hours.

I'd be happy to field some more specific questions related to cooking and I may be able to answer general questions about brands other than BGE's.

BGE has better quality throughout. the ceramic is made of better, more dense clay. the daisy wheel is cast and doesn't loose paint chips(sometimes the paint chips fall into your food)the place setters have cracked 3 times on my big joe(not from misuse) i have a big joe and 3 BGE's on my patio, along with an offset stick burner, and a high heat gas(1500 degree)

decisions were made. I own a joe jr, joe Classic and a yoder ys640

Attachments

• 7DEA36C1-822F-4D81-A99A-591F583BB166.jpeg
    7DEA36C1-822F-4D81-A99A-591F583BB166.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 499E1DC3-EB5B-4B50-B7ED-30421419D799.jpeg
    499E1DC3-EB5B-4B50-B7ED-30421419D799.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 12
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky