WSM Owners....couple of questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redwings

Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
NoVA
Been using my 18.5" WSM for a few years and have been reading a lot of different forums over the years for info.  Figured I'd ask a few questions and see what others do.

1.  When doing multiple racks of ribs (I usually do St. Louis cut spares) on the 18.5", how do you set them on the grate?  I usually use a rib rack and curl them inward to avoid being close to the edge.  Reason for this is I feel the edges of the smoker may be a lot hotter than the center where I'm measuring temps.

Other ways I've thought about but have not tried is just laying two racks side by side on the top.  Or laying 1 rack on the top in the middle and 1 rack on the bottom grate in the middle.  I've also thought about rolling them up and putting a skewer through them.

2.  Anyone else using the clay base method instead of water in the water pan?  I feel like this is one of the best mods I've done.  The temp reacts a lot faster to vent adjustments but I don't mind.  I've learned the WSM pretty well so I can still maintain a steady temp.  Anyone using something other than a clay base?

3.  Any Auber users here?  I LOVE my auber for long cooks.  Fire up the WSM via minion method and when I get within 15 degrees of desired temp, I close all the bottom vents and let the auber take it from there.  Did a butt overnight this past weekend and it held it at 235 from 8:30pm to 8:30am with no problem.  My Maverick is set to alert me if the temps get too hot or cold and it only beeped once.  But within a few minutes the auber had it back at 235.

Last edited:
Unless there is a specific reason why you need to present the whole rack, why not trim the length down so you can stand the racks up without curling?  I wonder if the curling affects the cooking process in s small cooking surface?

I have seen many comp cookers using a 18.5" WSM and they trim the rack down in length so they can fit 3 - 4 racks on edge in a rib rack - like you've shown.  You can still cook the trimmed off length in the same rack or on the lower level in another rack.

Unless there is a specific reason why you need to present the whole rack, why not trim the length down so you can stand the racks up without curling?  I wonder if the curling affects the cooking process in s small cooking surface?

I have seen many comp cookers using a 18.5" WSM and they trim the rack down in length so they can fit 3 - 4 racks on edge in a rib rack - like you've shown.  You can still cook the trimmed off length in the same rack or on the lower level in another rack.
That is a good idea.  

Or maybe just half the racks and stand them up on edge in the rib rack?

EDIT:  To be clear I mean cut the racks in half so you don't have to trim off the ends.  So there will be 4 halves in the rib rack.  All pretty much center.

Last edited:
I think most folks do the cut them in half method - I got the 22.5" so personally I have never had to cut them but a lot of others do so with great success.

I just use water in mine, so can't comment on the clay saucer or sand, but there are lots of folks that do use both.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky