WSM door or temp gauge issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texasrob

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
Was just curious anyone with the 18.5 ever had any issues with the door...staying secure, removing to add while in use, or just in general. The 22.5 seems more sturdy...just my .02.

Also has anyone swapped out their factory temp gauge fpr an aftermarket one? Recommendations on one? Feel its accurate?

Thanks

Rob

Hi TexasRob,

I have an WSM 18.5 as well, and before I added the gasket the door was pretty loose, but after installing gaskets it is a really good fit and I can keep most of my smoke inside the smoker :)

My temp gauge is the factory fitted one, and I am not really using it anymore, instead I am having a probe from my Maverick inside the smoker at all times, just to have a rough idea as the factory fitted is not really working. 

I have added an additional grate to mine, it is really good when making ribs. (just to let you know in case you have been thinking of adding mods). 

Did you buy the gasket kit they sell online? I have a Maverick et 733 and love it. Im wondering if the 22.5 unit is a tighter fit, door wise?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes I did buy the gasket sold online and it is working great.

I think you will have the same issue with the 22.5, but I have not had one, so cannot say for sure.

Soren

I've had a 18.5" WSM since 2005.  No gaskets.  If your door is not sealing 100% it can be lightly bent by hand to tweak it. I've never had an issue with the door latch either, but new model door and latch are different from what I have.

As to the thermometer, mine is the old model that did not come from the factory with a dome thermometer.  I bought a 3" Tel-Tru thermometer and after drilling a hole in my dome installed that.  I can't speak to the accuracy of the current factory models, but yes, you can go aftermarket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky