WSM 18”

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Anyone here have a WSM 18”? Do you like it? Do you have to add charcoal to the initial batch for a brisket or pork butt?
WSM's are great easy smokers. You can get 12+hrs at 225*F pretty easily with the "minion" method.

Honestly, adding more coals isn't nearly as much of a pain as most make it out to be, either. Pick up the barrel, have dry towels/heat-resistant gloves and quickly dump out the basket/ash. Clay pots are great for that. Have your additional coals+wood ready in another clay pot, and a few lit briquettes/chunks ready to go in the chimney, and voila.

WSM's are great easy smokers. You can get 12+hrs at 225*F pretty easily with the "minion" method.

Honestly, adding more coals isn't nearly as much of a pain as most make it out to be, either. Pick up the barrel, have dry towels/heat-resistant gloves and quickly dump out the basket/ash. Clay pots are great for that. Have your additional coals+wood ready in another clay pot, and a few lit briquettes/chunks ready to go in the chimney, and voila.

Thanks Ham. I appreciate your input. Sounds easy enough.

Reactions: Hamdrew
Thanks Ham. I appreciate your input. Sounds easy enough.
Happy to help; I know kettles best but an old 14" WSM was my first real smoker.

Got a steal of a deal the other day on a like-new 18" myself just this past week, actually. Windy here today, but i put some water in the pan and took a little nap while the chicken was cooking; You gotta love that convenience!
applechik.jpg

Love my WSM 18”. I typically would need to add half a chimney or so for a pork shoulder as I run them 275-300, so I chew through fuel a little faster at those temps. Adding some fuel mid smoke isn’t too big of a deal.

If you are concerned about charcoal capacity and / or burn times take a look at the Arbor Fabricating basket with minion starter. I've run 18 hours at 250 with charcoal to spare. Cheers.

I thought I had heard that the WSM 22 has a hard time getting below 275 degrees F, is that true?
I’ve never had that problem, and I live in Florida.
All you have to do is close 2 of the bottom vents & leave one just cracked open. It will settle in at 225. Or you could do as I did & get a BBQ Guru pit controller & it will hold any temp you set it at.
Al

You should check out the BBQube. Comes preprogrammed with algorithms for different cookers. Less expensive than the Guru or Flameboss temp controllers. They're running them $30 off + free shipping (in the US) which brings it down to $130 delivered if you get it from their website.

I got the Lavalock controller which works fine for me, but I would strongly consider the BBQube controller if I were buying one today.

It looks like Inkbird copied the design, added wifi and jacked up the price. Avoid that one, Inkbird makes JUNK.

Reactions: apn73
I have the 14, 18 and 22. Bought the 22 first with cyberq fan. I would go 22 with fan to start again. Fan is not required but then I get to sleep with no worries. As for adding charcoal, i have a piece of sheet metal bent in a v shape that I stick in the door and use as a slide to put charcoal in. By the time I'm adding charcoal there is no point of adding wood.

Reactions: Workaholic
Used my 18.5” and didn’t have to refuel until the 10 hour mark and that was with a lot of lid opening. Love that thing to death

No. That isn't true. I run mine at 250°F regularly and 225°F is hardly a problem for it.
What he said. As long as you don't start it with to much fire. Kind of like learning to start your vehicle to get the ice off of it. You learn your smoker with each use. Each has a personality. You learn what it likes and more importantly what it doesn't lol.

When I went and got my WSM, I looked at the different sizes, and at the time, there wasn't a place around me that had them on display. What I wound up doing, thanks to the fine people here, is buying the size I would need occasionally, for the big cooks, like Thanksgiving.

I don't regret getting the 22 at all. As a good example, on Thanksgiving, I normally am feeding myself, the wife, son, oldest daughter and son in law, and their 3 kids. I can easily fit 3 8-10# hotel turkeys on the top grill, which is perfect for what we need.

A lot of times when I do smoke something, I'll add something else on there, just because. The one item I do wish I had gotten, and will be getting this year, is a temp controller of one version or another.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky