Would you eat these?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OUTSTANDING!! Absolutely perfect and I do dearly love Cornish hens. Have not had one for a while but that may need to change...like right now :emoji_wink: Oh, and yes, I would certainly eat those, all of it as a matter of fact.

Robert

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Nice birds

Haven't had a game bird in many years.
I use Uncle Ben's wild rice with a pound of browned pork sausage mixed to stuff game birds. Stuff it hot and the small birds cook through pretty easily

What is the drip pan? That looks great.
Were the coals under the pan or a perimeter set?

Hey, sorry about skipping over the second part of your question.
I used the Slow n Sear with 1/4 full lit chimney to start. I had thought about running a parallel set up but decided to give the SnS set up a try. I figued if it didn't work out, I would finish the birds in the oven. The real test of SnS will be on longer cooks.
For short cooks and reverse sears, it has performed flawlessly so far.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Amazing results Stu! Love these birds. But haven't had them in ages. And I like the rotisserie on my Weber too.

Thanks, Steve. We love cornish hens too but they are getting hard to find down here and when they are available I buy two of those Tyson twin packs. The rotisserie is a good tool to have.

Boy howdy Stu, that's about the best looking pair of birds I've ever seen on a spinner, beautiful piece of work! I love Cornish hens and that pic after the glaze is about all I needed to go ahead and order the rotisserie kit for my 22, nice job Stu! RAY

Ray, thank you so much! As you know, I had been kicking around pulling the trigger on just the kettle for the past year. So, I figured if I am going to do it, go all in and get the rotisserie too. I would have loved to get the Weber branded ring to keep it all in the Weber family, but they don't offer a plain stainless ring. Get one!
Stu

Last edited:
Beautiful cook Stu!

The is a great looking set up, what exactly am I looing at? Is that a 26" copper kettle? not sure what the roti ring is and are you using any controller? I am really thinking of getting something else instead of my Smoky Hollow (MES knockoff). I just don't think the pellets are giving a true smoke profile.

Would I eat these? I would absolutely destroy those hens! They look delicious and nice set up too.

Thanks, xray!

SHS, beautifully bronzed birds!

Thanks! The pictures don't do them justice. I loved what I saw when I went to brush them with the glaze.

I love those little guys & yours look fantastic!
Nice job Stu!
Al

Al, Thank you! You just can't go wrong with these little hens. They are just so darn good and adaptable.

Beautiful looking birds!

Thank you, Travis. They sure were good eating.
OUTSTANDING!! Absolutely perfect and I do dearly love Cornish hens. Have not had one for a while but that may need to change...like right now :emoji_wink: Oh, and yes, I would certainly eat those, all of it as a matter of fact.

Robert

Thank you, Robert. You do need to change that right now! :emoji_laughing:

Beautiful cook Stu!

The is a great looking set up, what exactly am I looing at? Is that a 26" copper kettle? not sure what the roti ring is and are you using any controller? I am really thinking of getting something else instead of my Smoky Hollow (MES knockoff). I just don't think the pellets are giving a true smoke profile.

Hey Thanks!
The set up is a copper 22" Weber with a rotisserie ring and a Slow n Sear.
No controller since I wanted to get back to the basics and be able to run a cooker that isn't totally dependendent on electricity and perfect weather conditions.
I got tired of getting rained out on too many cooks.
I have a couple of Weber gassers but they can be very prone to flame outs when the wind kicks up.
I have a Smoke Hollow SmokeTronix (electric). It does a pretty decent job. But there again, it is totally dependent on good weather.
Which Smoke Hollow to you have?

Stu

Thank you, Travis. They sure were good eating.

Thank you, Robert. You do need to change that right now! :emoji_laughing:

Hey Thanks!
The set up is a copper 22" Weber with a rotisserie ring and a Slow n Sear.
No controller since I wanted to get back to the basics and be able to run a cooker that isn't totally dependendent on electricity and perfect weather conditions.
I got tired of getting rained out on too many cooks.
I have a couple of Weber gassers but they can be very prone to flame outs when the wind kicks up.
I have a Smoke Hollow SmokeTronix (electric). It does a pretty decent job. But there again, it is totally dependent on good weather.
Which Smoke Hollow to you have?

Stu
It is a 2017 electric version, model 30162EW I use it with a pellet tube which is OK, but I don't think I am getting true smoke flavor. I have not done a mailbox mod to it. I do use a PID so temp control is great.
sh1.jpg
sh2.jpg

It is a 2017 electric version, model 30162EW I use it with a pellet tube which is OK, but I don't think I am getting true smoke flavor. I have not done a mailbox mod to it. I do use a PID so temp control is great.
View attachment 522655View attachment 522656

Nice.
I opted for the SmokeTronix since it has the secondary 300 watt chip element to get the chips smoldering. I have not tried a tube yet. But I am leaning toward one since that secondary element still generates a little too much heat for cold smoking cheese and such.
In the meantime, I just place a pan full of ice on the lower rack to help keep temps down.
Maybe I got a hold of a good one since the temp swings are negligible during hot smokes.

Sunday was a beautiful perfect day here my neck of the woods so I decided to try out the new roti ring on my new kettle.
View attachment 522622

So I decided to spin a couple of cornish hens. No brine and no salt other than what is in the rub and glaze. Lightly dusted them with BGE Pecan Rub.
The cavities are stuffed with one onion and one lemon wedge along with sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary and sage leaves.
Also tossed in a huge yam just for grins and giggles. That my new drip pan/griddle down there. It included a roasting rack.
View attachment 522623

Been rolling along with applewood chunks at 330° according to the lid therm. I still need to check it for accuracy.
View attachment 522624

Applied a thin glaze of Stonewall Kitchen Smokey Peach Whiskey Sauce. They'll be ready soon going by the instant read therm.
View attachment 522625

Resting on the kitchen counter. These pics don't do justice to the hens. The color was spectacular in person.
Sorry for not getting any money shots or plated shots. We were starving.
View attachment 522626

I love this kettle. The temps are a breeze to control. I've been playing around with the kettle for a couple of weeks.
As for the roti ring, I couldn't even hear it runnning and would go check on it. LOL.
I didn't even need to use the spitrod counterweight this time.

Thanks for stopping by.

Stu
look awesome tome!

Nice.
I opted for the SmokeTronix since it has the secondary 300 watt chip element to get the chips smoldering. I have not tried a tube yet. But I am leaning toward one since that secondary element still generates a little too much heat for cold smoking cheese and such.
In the meantime, I just place a pan full of ice on the lower rack to help keep temps down.
Maybe I got a hold of a good one since the temp swings are negligible during hot smokes.
I got it in 2019 used only once for $30 so I can't complain, it got me into smoking.

look awesome tome!

Thanks!

Hey Stu,

Great lookin' birds! What else have you used and liked from Stonewall?

Thank you very much!
That was the first time using anything from Stonewall.
Mrs. SHS was eyeing some other sauces and dressings too.
So, we'll be getting those soon.
Definitely good stuff!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky