Worst BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Since that place went out of business I’ve really been considering opening my own spot. Small take out place, sell BBQ boxes $10-$12 meats and a couple sides. Quick grab and go. I’ve done BBQ specials every Friday at my food truck for the last 4 years and it’s always my top seller.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Sorry, cannot like the original post. Even the sad face doesn't describe that well enough.

A local "Dickies" franchise opened a few years ago. Reminded me of the fast food quality I experienced in DFW Dickies 30 years ago. Dickies franchise closed is now a Starbucks.

I have a pearl in the oyster in NW Minnesota.
Place is not fancy, but Mark smokes some of the best restaurant brisket I've ever been served.
Even catered the quality is very good.
He has won the local rib fest competition for 3 years
Does this place in NW Minnesota have a name and is it within motorcycle ride from Brainerd Minnesota? The wife and I are always looking for day trip Bbq runs.

Since that place went out of business I’ve really been considering opening my own spot. Small take out place, sell BBQ boxes $10-$12 meats and a couple sides. Quick grab and go. I’ve done BBQ specials every Friday at my food truck for the last 4 years and it’s always my top seller.
Considered another food truck? How about a pop-up?

Considered another food truck? How about a pop-up?

No I’m thinking more about converting one of my existing places. There are so many rules and regulations and permits that NY doesn’t really allow PopUps. I could just do a catering permit but it’s actually less expensive to just do a normal food service application.

It's funny that this thread has shown up and the timing. Just this last weekend I'm running solo with Jana out of town. Home alone ......... Anyway I really thought I'd just try someone else's BBQ that I'd never tried before. After a few searches around the area I finally decided my best option was to cook my own. So I did. Rarely eat BBQ from retailers since I like what I cook. Glad I did - Football fun food! The Paper Plate Chronicles ....... BB ribs w/ beans & sliced Avocado. Probably not the most balanced meal but I had a Shiner Bock with it to get a few grains.
AC338A7F-5201-4699-B80E-9C5DEACE7783_1_201_a.jpeg

Hard to beat home cooking' .........
Maybe I'll try a new BBQ joint next time - maybe not?

Had some terrible ribs at Dickies north of Columbus Ohio. Ribs were way too salty, not edible. I asked to speak with the manager. Younger kid was in charge, he stated there was nothing he could do for me. I said I'll do it for you. Dumped the entire tray in the trash and walked out. That place closed about 6 months later. There was another Dickies a few miles away and it lasted a year.
They say the further a store is from the original location the worse it gets.
No Quality Control for that chain.

RG

Had some terrible ribs at Dickies north of Columbus Ohio. Ribs were way too salty, not edible. I asked to speak with the manager. Younger kid was in charge, he stated there was nothing he could do for me. I said I'll do it for you. Dumped the entire tray in the trash and walked out. That place closed about 6 months later. There was another Dickies a few miles away and it lasted a year.
They say the further a store is from the original location the worse it gets.
No Quality Control for that chain.

RG
Yikes. Sounds like they use low quality ribs. I notice the cheaper ones come pre brined with salt solution added... so if you add any salt to your rub it kills you with the combined sodium.

Teal101 Teal101 and tallbm tallbm
Is 3 pigs bbq still around? It was off I-35E south of Corinth.

I never ate at it. A quick google of the area and viewing of the map doesn't have it showing up.
Was it good?
My brother tells me there is a little BBQ joint not far from where you mention over in Lewisville that is still there. He says it is pretty good but I have not eaten at this Lewisville place.

I never ate at it. A quick google of the area and viewing of the map doesn't have it showing up.
Was it good?
My brother tells me there is a little BBQ joint not far from where you mention over in Lewisville that is still there. He says it is pretty good but I have not eaten at this Lewisville place.
This is getting close to 25 years ago so it may have moved on.
3 Pigs was the only place we found that 1. was outstanding and 2. offered pork.

Clearly an inferior product. :emoji_fearful:
It is sad that most folks can't tell the difference between good BBQ and mediocre BBQ. That is why places get away with this lousy quality. Since I have upped my game doing BBQ with many thanks to the wisdom of forum contributors, I can make most BBQ better than any restaurant within 150 miles of me. :emoji_grin:

JC :emoji_cat:

I was in the central Plano area of (suburb of North Dallas) today and hit up 2 bbq places.
Why 2? Well... the one that had a 4.9 star review on Google was actually a catering company that only allowed you to buy and take home vac sealed bbq they had in a glass door standup cooler/fridge.
It was pricey too! I guess I should have read a bit more about the place on Google but none of the reviews mentioned this and I was on my phone and in between errands when I quickly looked it up so I will take the blame for a lack of research.

I then went to the #2 option to actually have lunch rather than buy something to take home hahaha which was also highly rated. Well it wasn't really not much of a BBQ house even that it had BBQ in the name. It was like a hybrid working mans Tex-Mex/BBQ menu. I ordred the 2 meat BBQ plate and all of it it was forgettable so I assume the many high ratings come from the burritos, tacos, and other Tex-Mex and Mexican items on the menu.
Again I should have read more but I was looking this stuff up in my car in parking lots while getting ready to run the next errand on my list so I didn't do a bunch of research.

Late last week I hit up a place in Addison, TX (suburb of North Dallas) and it was OK and I wouldn't moan if someone wanted to eat there but it also wasn't very special. I tried the brisket, ribs, and jalapeno sausage. The sausage was pretty good, the brisket was ok, and the ribs were nothing specially. I could tell they knew how to smoke BUT I think they are suffering on consistent repeatable operations in the store as I could tell with the other things going on that didnt involve the cooking. Seems like everyone trying to do everything so I imagine that is what is keeping the food from being much better.

Anyhow I'll keep trying new places around the Dallas area as I get chances while running errands. Maybe if I end up down in Deep Ellum (near Down Town Dallas) I will pop into Pecan Lodge to see if it is still kickin strong and MAYBE i'll make the time to try Cattleack BBQ since I am still off work next week :)

Hopefully I have enough places knocked down that if anyone is visiting various areas of Dallas I could give them a good option (can't make any claims for Ft Worth, its too far away from me).

I want to cringe every time I see the word Dickey's. Basically tasteless meat masquerading as Q. Fool me once...yada yada yada.

Dickies BBQ pit was one of the reasons I got into BBQ in the first place. I ate there when they had one in GB. I was shocked that they charged me $9 for a tiny bowl of BBQ beans which weren't that good. Also, the ribs were precooked, not smoked, and they were all kept in warming cabinets wrapped in plastic. After eating their BBQ, I knew I could do better myself and I wasn't going to settle for crappy ribs any longer!

A BBQ chef was born that day.... :emoji_grin:

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky