Wood Rack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gizzygone

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2017
MA
I’m curious what you are all doing for wood-racks? I previously used some PT runners on the ground, and tossed a tarp over it: but most of my wood has rotted out (likely because I didn’t get the PT off the ground... it became a breeding ground for mice... and because I wasn’t great about rotating new wood to the bottom.

I like the idea of building a small open shed, but lumber prices have me thinking it’s best to wait to get into that project.

I may pull the trigger on one of the cheap metal racks with the covers to hold me over: But some have covers on only the top portion... others have full covers: which is better?

Reactions: JLeonard
Full covers that cover the walls will give you some protection from the wind if you live in a wind prone area.
I thought you were looking for a cover to protect your smoker. My mistake. I put my firewood on wooden pallets, seems there is no core charge on pallets, in Canada, anymore so any business that receives goods on pallets are giving them away. As the pallets rot I replace them with new.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
Cinder blocks and 2x4's work great and are cheap
Screenshot_20210120_091901.png

Lowes also sells these brackets to use with 2x4
Screenshot_20210120_091920.png

Reactions: kruizer
TN Jake: I’ve seen the cinder block solution: maybe I’ll just whip that together for now until I come up with a more permanent solution.

Do you cover your wood at all? Here in New England Snow/rain can be a concern. I think my tarp likely contributed to the early demise of my pile.

If you cover your wood than only cover the top, leave the sides open to the wind/sun allowing moisture to evaporate. A fully tarpped wood pile will trap evaporating moisture and never dry. Rain and snow will only penetrate the wood a few millimeters and dry in no time.

Reactions: gizzygone
as stated above in Jersey I keep my firewood on pallets, as you go through the wood if a pallet starts to get soft just pick up another on from an industrial park area, they give them away so they don't have to pay for removal. And I cover the wood I will be using for the season with a tarp over the top and the side open to the element, the rest I just let keep drying out.
Jim

Reactions: gizzygone
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky