Wood Pellet storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pg77

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
Staten Island
Hi all, my masterbuilt dual fuel smoker finally crapped out on me. I decided to go with a Traeger 34. Anyone have any tips or advice on it? Are any modifications needed? What is the best way to store the pellets? Thx in advance.

are you dead set on traeger? what is your budget. you can probably do better.

pellet storage is easy, keep dry and off concrete. bagged or in buckets with lids or plastic containers.

Reactions: Buttah Butts
I got it already. I was going back and forth for weeks on a smoker but my cousin has a Traeger and he sold me on it.

What is the best way to store the pellets? Thx in advance.
Try contacting your local grocery store. Typically most bakeries get some of their ingredients in food grade resealable buckets that they just throw away. Our local chain gives them out first come first serve you just have to clean them.

You can get some food grade 5 gallon buckets from Lowes with a seal top. That is what I use for my mixes and partial bags. I just store the full bags in my garage on a wood pallet off the floor. I can't help with any tips on your 34, I have the Timberline 1300 and it's a great grill.

I use lowes or home depot 5 gallon paint buckets. I live in Arizona so I am not to worried about the seal just leave anything wet out for 1 hour and it will be dry. I wouldn't trust them to any place that has an average of 50% humidity or higher.

My old Traeger BBQ075, the size of your 34, holds a whole bag in the hopper. My 22, not as much. I have them in the bag and in a galvanized covered can next to the grill. I'm in northern CA, no humidity and 80-85 during the day. Plus, I use them so much they can get moisture, HA!

The bucket ideas posted are good ones.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky