Wood fired pizza oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Hope this is the right place....thinking about building a wood fired brick pizza oven.....after I get my second Reverse Flow built...I am wondering if there is a calculator of sorts? Or perhaps some sort of general guidelines of sorts?

Looks to me like your posting in the right area, I can't imagine you NOT finding the right information and or help with your project build on this SMF. I would be willing to guess if a Calculator does exist? Someone will chime in with that info for you.

Maybe start by posting up some Drawing and or idea's on this new Pizza Oven build of yours to help get this thread rolling for you.
welder.gif

There goes this! :welder: :laugh1: . Make sure to post lots of pics, sounds like a cool project! 
Will do. Tossed around the thought of welding up a steel pizza cooker of sorts but....lol...
I haven't done any brick work since my teenage years...will be 51 in 9 days or so...can't wait to see what kind of train wreck it is...at least in the beginning. May got get some regular bricks/mortar and "practice" a bit...

I've done a bunch of research on earth ovens and there are some important ratios to consider when building a pizza oven. They carry over into brick design as well. The dome, stack, oven opening all need to be designed properly.

If you plan on wanting to use the oven for baking bread that needs to be taken into consideration also.

There are some good online resources for earth oven design. I'd suggest you start there as the basic principles are the same.

Will do. Tossed around the thought of welding up a steel pizza cooker of sorts but....lol...
I haven't done any brick work since my teenage years...will be 51 in 9 days or so...can't wait to see what kind of train wreck it is...at least in the beginning. May got get some regular bricks/mortar and "practice" a bit...
Some place I seen a really cool pizza oven a guy built on top of an old 55 gal. drum and he had the oven part on top made out of his clay and or mortar mix. I thought it was a very creative and simplistic work of art when it was done.

I was kind of throwing the idea around about making myself one?
33.gif
 That post and pic might even be on this SMF where I seen it last? Some much good info on this Forum kind of hard to remember everything a person surfs over! 
xrocker.gif

Forno Bravo is probly the best place to start.  They have a forum with a bunch of diy and mad scientist type people, lol go figure 

I've done a bunch of research on earth ovens and there are some important ratios to consider when building a pizza oven. They carry over into brick design as well. The dome, stack, oven opening all need to be designed properly.

If you plan on wanting to use the oven for baking bread that needs to be taken into consideration also.

There are some good online resources for earth oven design. I'd suggest you start there as the basic principles are the same.

Good points, DS. Dimensions and ratios get really important when you start talking about baking loaves of bread. Pizza is pretty forgiving, I cook them on my Kamodo.

I'm glad I ran across this thread as I've pretty much talked myself into building a bread/pizza oven once the spring rains stop.
I'm going to use block and brick. I've been pricing materials and purchasing a few books this past week. :smile:

If you are looking to build a brick Pompeii pizza oven, go to : www. fornobravo.com   reguster there for free and you can download, not only the full build plans but the e-recipe book also free!

Reactions: geezer

If you are looking to build a brick Pompeii pizza oven, go to : www. fornobravo.com   reguster there for free and you can download, not only the full build plans but the e-recipe book also free!
Yeah I've been over there reading build threads till my eyes would no longer focus. I've bought a concrete mixer and will get a brick saw next time I have a HF 20% off coupon.
smile.gif

You don't really need a concrete mixer as I mixed a single load in the builder's wheelbarrow and it took me well into the night to use it all up. Check out my build on  fornobravo.com forum, it has all the detail and pics to boot! The dome was built completely over a 2 day weekend and inclement weather to boot.

Reactions: geezer

You don't really need a concrete mixer as I mixed a single load in the builder's wheelbarrow and it took me well into the night to use it all up. Check out my build on  fornobravo.com forum, it has all the detail and pics to boot! The dome was built completely over a 2 day weekend and inclement weather to boot.
Well, I've already got it, in fact I've already used it for another project.
smile.gif

Where I'm at I need to build a "real" foundation for the oven I'm intending to build. Nah, the mixer will save me lots of sore muscles. 

I will absolutely look into your build over on Forno Bravo. 
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky