Wood chunks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

animal54

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Palmer Nebraska
is it hard to keep the chunks smoking compared to wood chips? any help? I am thinking of buying a Smoke Hollow propane and not to sure

is it hard to keep the chunks smoking compared to wood chips? any help? I am thinking of buying a Smoke Hollow propane and not to sure
IMO, no.  I prefer using chunks to chips in my GOSM propane.  They will produce smoke for longer than chips without having to open the door to refill the smokebox so often.  And they are less likely to catch fire and cause a temp flare-up than chips. 

BTW, Welcome aboard.  Glad you joined us. When you have a chance, stop into the Roll Call forum and introduce yourself, tell us a little about yourself and let everyone give a welcome.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who enjoy helping one another. Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty.

trying to keep the fuel supply low....220 degrees.....I have heard to turn the supply way down.....do you think that will work? It also has 2 20,000 btu burners so what do think?

Animal, morning.....  Try using one chunk.... with the largest flat side against the pan... Do not soak the chunk and it should smolder and smoke for an hour or even longer.... If it stays black, you need more air supply as the chunk is turning into charcoal without enough air....

Dave

Thank-you..........so if I use say 2 to 3 chunks.........it will give me a ton of smoke? I also agree with the air flow.......do you think 1/4 or more open will do that?

I have a smoke hollow and I use chunks. At 225ish they smolder very nicely and give me a perfect thin blue smoke for an hour or a little under.

I have some pecan wood I harvested from local trees, but I have not used them yet, my husband says they're not ready to be used, so I've been using store bought chunks. A bit of advice, don't get the cowboy brand chunks, there's not very many chunks, mostly little pieces. I found some nice bags of chunks at Bass Pro.

Now, I smoked some beef jerky for the first time about a month ago. I'm able to get my smoker to hold at around 120 with a needle valve mod, but my wood would not catch on fire (caused a bit of a headache). I even bought a bag of chips thinking they may catch on fire better, I was wrong. Ended up getting an amazing tube smoker for cold smokes, but I haven't used it yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky