Wood chip box and Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hinds90

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Will putting the wood chip box directly on heating element drastically affect temp?

Also for those with heat probes to monitor the temp inside the smoker how many degrees does your smoker fluctuate when you have it set to the sweet spot?

Last edited:
I just got my Gen1 MES30 up and running. Using my TP-20, with the probes at basically the same level as the smoker's temperature sensor, I had it set to 275, with the top vent fully open, chip tube pushed in.

After it settled in, I saw swings as low as 276, and as high as 290.

That didn't seem bad to me, but I have nothing to compare with. At least it was going above setpoint, rather than failing to reach setpoint. I can always set a cooler temperature, if needed.

I just got my Gen1 MES30 up and running. Using my TP-20, with the probes at basically the same level as the smoker's temperature sensor, I had it set to 275, with the top vent fully open, chip tube pushed in.

After it settled in, I saw swings as low as 276, and as high as 290.

That didn't seem bad to me, but I have nothing to compare with. At least it was going above setpoint, rather than failing to reach setpoint. I can always set a cooler temperature, if needed.
For comparisons sake, when I set mine to 275 I get a range of 271 to 282. 11 degree range measured with my 732. We got "gooder" ones, they actually can get to 275 
sausage.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky