Wisconsin Style Brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimalbert

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Lehighton, PA
Anyone have a proven Wisconsin style Brat recipe that is very similar to a Johnsonville?  I did see the one on Len Poli's website and I will most likely stay away from it just due to the fact that it calls for MSG, Citric Acid, and Phosphate.  I also found one of NEPA's Wisconsin Brat recipes on the Bradley forum doing a google search.  I would like to make a big batch (15lbs) or so right from the get go and really dont have the time to "tinker" with tweaks.  One thing that seems pretty common in the recipes I have found is mace and nutmeg, also marjoram.  Also, I do plan to cold smoke it for a couple hours (2-3) before vacuum sealing them.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
biggrin.gif
 You know we only feed Johnsonville Brats to out of towners.

Reactions: garyt
These are good, especially if you can grind nut meg in a coffee grinder so it is fresh.

Wisconsin Brat      Very good recipe *****

5 lbs.
  • 4 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes and stored in the freezer for 30 minutes
  • 1 pound Pork back fat, chopped and stored in the freezer for 30 minutes
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground marjoram (optional)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried ginger (optional)
From DiggingyDogFarm I believe

Thanks Woodcutter.  I appreciate it.  It is really similar to the one NEPAs listed a while ago.  And yes, I will most likely grind the nutmeg. 

Bratwurst  5 Lbs

4 lbs. pork butt

1 lb. pork bellie

1 cup water

2 oz Brat Seasoning

Brat Seasoning

2 lbs / 907g kosher salt

6 oz. /170 g ground white pepper

1 oz. /14 g rubbed sage

1/2 oz. /14 g ground celery seed

1/2 oz./14g ground mace

Just multiply first 4 items to change amount, store brat seasoning in freezer.This is John Kowalski Brat recipe.

Thanks guys.  Actually used another recipe I found but It was great.  I am going to try all of the suggested recipes in the next few weeks.  I will also try to post some q-view this time!  took pictures and didnt have an SD Card in.   OOPS!

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky