Wisconsin Bratwurst Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NewBuilder

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 15, 2019
I found this recipe on the net years ago. I wish I could remember where so I could give them credit.

We have made this recipe many times and always enjoy it. I have a spreadsheet that calculates the spices based on the weight of the meat. I can send it if anyone wants it.

Wisconsin Bratwurst Sausage
Total Amount of Meat1,000grams
Meat750grams
Pork Fat250grams
Salt18.50grams
Sugar4.00grams
Pepper1.85grams
Grated Nutmeg1.34grams
Dried Ginger1.19grams
Coriander0.40grams
Celery Seed0.28grams
Ground Marjoram0.08grams

I found this recipe on the net years ago. I wish I could remember where so I could give them credit.

We have made this recipe many times and always enjoy it. I have a spreadsheet that calculates the spices based on the weight of the meat. I can send it if anyone wants it.

Meat750grams
Pork Fat250grams
Salt18.50grams
Sugar4.00grams
Pepper1.85grams
Grated Nutmeg1.34grams
Dried Ginger1.19grams
Coriander0.40grams
Celery Seed0.28grams
Ground Marjoram0.08grams

Many thanks to NewBuilder for posting, and confirming this recipe is a good one. I see it, or verrry close, all over.

I happen to be compiling all brat recipes I can find into a spreadsheet, with all ingredients normalized and converted to 1kg meat block. I've weighed all the spices per t 4 times and averaged, but of course difference spice grinds could give 20 to 40% off.

I can say that this recipe matches the one given by diggingdogfarm, all ingredients, as accurate as anyone can measure the weight of a teaspoon of spices in grams, so it is essentially the exact same. Only difference is diggingdogfarm gave salt as T, and depending on your actual T and salt, it could be up to 2.5%... normal levels are 1.7 to 1.8%, so I will assume my kosher salt and teaspoon gave a bogusly high measure.

I can also say that the recipe give by sausageboy in a separate thread on Wisconsin beer brats, is a 100% replica of diggingdogfarm recipe.

Just in case other folks are looking for good WI brat recipes, like I am, there are 5 threads all on this recipe, and every person has said it is spot on perfect for Johnsonville or WI or Sheboygan beer brats. Having seen this recipe show up numerous times now as folk's Best Recommended, I would say it is a good one to use.

I plan on making it tonight myself, will report.

Last edited:
Can confirm! These are an absolutely great Wisconsin/Johnsonville taste!

I stuffed them into 21 mm fresh collagen casings, the super delicate ones you use for breakfast links. Mostly because I had a partial stick that was just the right length for 5 or 6 lbs. I made 2kg meat, then added about 13% water to stuff thru 13mm tube, giving 2.25kg or about 5 lbs.

Would have used hog casings, but this was sausage #3 of the night (3 lb Taylor Pork Roll, 9lb Jimmy Dean clone breakfast sausage, and 5 lbs of this brat). So I needed to just grab an easy casing and finish, so I didn't keep my kids awake while cleaning ;)

20221003_222949.jpg

Beer was Paulaner Hefe Weizen, perfect for these!
20221003_225935.jpg

Hi all! New to sausage making and this recipe sounds like a great one to try first. My question that I have, is there any liquid added to this? I see it a lot on other recipes. Thanks!

Hi all! New to sausage making and this recipe sounds like a great one to try first. My question that I have, is there any liquid added to this? I see it a lot on other recipes. Thanks!

No, there is no liquid added.

Reactions: mmarten
Adding icy water (or other liquids) is often added to sausage recipes during mixing and is absorbed by extracted proteins. The amount is totally based on feel and "stickiness". For some reason it's omitted from a lot of recipes. If you are new to sausage making, this page contains a lot of helpful information and general technique.

Reactions: mmarten
Does adding water to the mix change the texture? Water is a must in a few of my favourite recipes but the texture is also different.

Does adding water to the mix change the texture? Water is a must in a few of my favourite recipes but the texture is also different.
It improves the consistency and bind when mixing. And can help when stuffing. One problem is... a recipe might call for 1 cup of icy water, but you might only need a 1/4 cup. If you add the entire cup your mix will be too soupy. Liquids should be added slowly and as needed. A sausage with beef and pork will take water differently than an all pork sausage.

Meat750grams
Pork Fat250grams
Salt18.50grams
Sugar4.00grams
Pepper1.85grams
Grated Nutmeg1.34grams
Dried Ginger1.19grams
Coriander0.40grams
Celery Seed0.28grams
Ground Marjoram0.08grams
Could you send me the file?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky