Wire brushes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WeberBlackStoneYoder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
East central Illinois
With all the concerns over the last couple of years using wire brushes to clean the grill. My wife does not want me to use a wire brush anymore and I'm struggling with it.
1. Been using a wire brush to clean the grill/smoker for 35 years, with nobody finding any fragments of wire on or in their food.
2. I have tried multiple alternative's with mixed reviews. Settled on a wood scraper.
3. I use my grill/smoker 2-3 times per week year round, again no issues with wire.
4, The wire brush cleans better than anything I have tried. I feel like I'm wasting money on new things that just don't work as well.
5, Not only does the wire brush do the best job. It's quick and efficient.

So lets hear it from the grill/smoker veterans. How many here still use the wire brush to clean their grates? How many never use a wire brush and what are you using? Thanks

I have and always will use a wire brush. Never had an issue. It is important to not use them for longer than intended. Also don't buy the cheapest one you see. As far as the wife goes.........use the wire when she ain't looking and tell her how great her idea was for you to change your ways by using the wooden scraper lol. Women love to hear they are right!

I stared using a wooden scraper and have come to like it. I use this one

the wire ones always seemed to gunk up. not sure i believe all the stories of people eating wire bits tho...I mean how long have we all been using wire brushes to clean grills??? I do have a wire brush and use it as needed for deep cleaning.

I have and always will use a wire brush. Never had an issue. It is important to not use them for longer than intended. Also don't buy the cheapest one you see. As far as the wife goes.........use the wire when she ain't looking and tell her how great her idea was for you to change your ways by using the wooden scraper lol. Women love to hear they are right!
Yes I'm all about Quality when using a wire brush. I don't have a problem replacing them 2-3 times a year. Women, you can't live without them and you can't shoot them,

• Haha
Reactions: TNJAKE

the wire ones always seemed to gunk up. not sure i believe all the stories of people eating wire bits tho...I mean how long have we all been using wire brushes to clean grills??? I do have a wire brush and use it as needed for deep cleaning.
That is the same one my wife bought me. Works ok I guess but not on the edges around the grill.

The biggest issue I have with these are I have several grills and smokers. None have similar grates so you end up needing one for each grill. And my big offset has expanded metal grates which these are useless on

Alot of times I don't worry about it, but if it gets kinda thick I use that wood paddle that was mentioned on gas grill, it has wide steel rods for grates and it works good... just don't let the dog get hold of it, they don't hold form very well! :emoji_blush: Occasionally I will use wire brush on kettle grate.

Ryan

I've always used a wire brush to clean my grates. I usually give the grates a good going over at the end of a cook and at the beginning. When the grates are hot. BTW the one I'm currently using is a couple three years old.

Chris

Reactions: TNJAKE
I dont use a wire brush, I usually use little ball of tinfoil to knock the heavy stuff off then paper towel with some oil.

Nothing I have ever tried has worked better than a good brush ( key word 'good' ). I have been using the Weber Three Sided stainless steel brush and replace it every spring. Never have a problem with shedding bristles. I'm sure shedding has happened without a doubt.............. with POS brushes.

I use a welder's stainless steel wire brush like this...
1628186852292.png

Reactions: Norwester55
I have Grillgrates coming in the mail, do you use their vally whatever brush?
Sorry I haven't checked in for a few days. No but it looks like it would do a good job. I just use a nylon bristle brush that has real heavy bristles and scrape between the grates with the spatula. I soak them in the sink once in awhile and scrub them, reseason.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky