Winter Weather In Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danno44

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
With cold and winter coming up faster than I would like, and being in Michigan, I’m looking for a setup to get some protection from the wind and snow.
Building something permanent is not something I want to do, so I’m looking for something I can set up later this fall and leave it until spring.
I do have a garage, but it’s attached and as much as I enjoy the smell, I really don’t want it in the house or worse something goes wrong and burn everything down.
I am considering this:
LUSmI4f.jpg

Venting I can address later if it’s an issue, but with how it’s constructed I don’t think I’ll have a problem (famous last words).
I’m not sure if I’m overthinking this, and if this is overkill.
One thing is for sure I will be smoking proteins this winter, as my wife has stated, “I don’t care what you do as long as the ribs and brisket are served”.
Challenge Accepted
Comments and thoughts appreciated!
*Footnote: I did do a search but didn’t find what I’m looking for or photos of winter setups are no longer viewable with some threads 10 years old.

Id be concerned with snow load. You might need to reinforce it.

I live on the west side of the state. The number one problem I deal with is wind. Not sure how well that set up would work where I am. I just set up in the lee of my house and make sure to keep all the covers on when I'm not using my equipment.

May not be the same model, but one of my neighbors uses something similar to it to protect his lawnmower etc... The only problem I've seen with it after a couple of years of being up. It's starting to weather. The flap for the door is basically useless, and some spots on the roof are starting to tear. He does keep it on the side of his house so it doesn't see direct wind all the time, and is partially protected by a tree. I think it's been up for roughly 5 or 6 years.

Chris

Valid points everyone. Gives me more to consider.
Thanks!

The tent you show would certainly be my first choice. However, if you are leaving it out all winter, I share the concerns already voiced about snow load and, since you say wind is a big issue there, I would also be concerned about the ability of this structure to not shift or move.

I thought about what other description to use while searching, and the term "shed" came to mind as something that is small, but more sturdy than a tent. I came up with this listing at Home Depot. I'm sure similar stores would have the same items:

Sheds and Outdoor Storage

You did say that you don't want to construct something permanent, so perhaps these are more than you want to get. However, some of them may come in pieces, in which case you should be able to knock it down and store the panels at the end of the season.

Id be concerned with snow load. You might need to reinforce it.
My thoughts exactly, Snowload would be a concern.

I'd look at prefab hard shell sheds..

I know you can get them at Fleetfarm for a few hundred or so. My friend had one on her hobby farm for a decade, didn't get damaged till we had a storm bad enough that a chunk of roofing from 1/4 mile away whipped through her yard. Better it hit the shed then one of her animals or house.

Good idea on hard shell sheds. Was hoping to not spend that much, however going inexpensive won’t do any good if it rips to pieces.

Where I am in Michigan we get close to 100” of snow a season.

There were a lot of positive reviews on what I was considering, but some mods would need to be done to address snow and UV protection. Plus would need to keep the roof cleared of snow, easily accomplished with a foam snow scraper like those used at car dealerships.

However, the concerns mentioned are very good and will look and see if someone is having a sale on hard shell sheds.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate your input. You have provided exactly the feedback I was looking for.

100" of snow? That sounds like either the UP, or else the east coast of Lake Michigan, where they get that "lake effect" snow.
On west coast, Grand Rapids area, which does get lake effect. Sorry I mis-spoke avg snow is 69” but have had above average more than that last few years.

We avg. about 80" of snow per year. I should mention that my neighbor leaves his up year round. If your only keeping it up during the winter you'll probably be fine for quite some time.

Chris

I have been using 10x20 canopy's in Michigan for years. I find that if you use rainx on the top very little snow sticks. Be sure to stake it down my canopy's can only take a 15 mph wind so i drive a three foot fence post in next to the legs and tie them down.

Stan

Thanks again everyone for your advice and information.

I've used a larger version of the one you picture for the last three years to house the motorcycles and four wheeler with plow. It's held up remarkably well, we only expected a couple seasons. Only issue is when the snow slide off, it collects against the sides.

Update. I decided to go with the unit I posted photo of earlier. 10’ x 10’.
Assembled last Wednesday. On Friday the 21st we had steady 15-20 MPH winds with gusts to 30....all day long.
To my satisfaction the portable shed held fine. The tie downs did their job and everything came through un-damaged.
Today I did first smoke to try it out. Something quick and easy (pork loins).
Of course not a whisp of breeze so during initial startup had some smoke hanging around, but did finally clear out after a few minutes.
May look for a cheap battery powered fan just to move some air if this happens again.
Did take plenty of temp readings with infrared thermometer throughout smoke and I have rig centered enough that no issues with heat and walls and such.
As a side note, meal turned out great. Sorry no photo, wasn’t thinking.
Here is set up.
BYzIs2L.jpg

Can you cut a hole in the roof, reinforce the hole, and then run a stack extension up through the hole? The fan would only move some of the smoke out, but running the chimney through the roof should keep the house totally clear of smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky