1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Winter smoking

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by iceman6409, Dec 3, 2018.

1. iceman6409

iceman6409 Fire Starter

Hi All. I have a really old Cabelas bullet style electric smoker. I live in Rochester NY where the winter temperatures can be very very cold. My question is I am pretty sire there is no way I could smoke on that outside in the winter. The freezing temperatures would be wayyyy too cold for the smoker to handle as is. Is there anything I can do to insulate the smoker to try and get temperatures to around 225F? Also let it be known 220-225F is about as high as it goes on a hot day. Let me know any thoughts or ideas. Thank you in advance.

2. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Welding blankets are the preferred method for insulating a smoker for winter. Honestly, I say ditch it and go MES. I think the coldest I smoked in was -15F and worked fine. No blanket or anything. I am not easily impressed but I am with this smoker.

3. ravenclan

ravenclan Smoking Fanatic

welding blankets but i also built a wooden box to put my smoker in. during the winter in Oklahoma, not only the cold but the wind kills my heat but with the enclosed wooden box i don't have a problem.

crazymoon and buzzy like this.
  4. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

Also might consider like moving it to a place protected by other structures; IE Behind the garage. Every little bit helps.

If you need to trick sensors into starting..well. Use the good ole hair dryer trick :)

5. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Arizona comes to mind.... :rolleyes:

If I had to (again) deal with frozen butt weather, I'd have an enclosed porch (if possible) and have a smoker I could put a stack outside with.
    MES (the box type) have insulation to really help hold the inside temperature.
    But it depends on what you want to do.
    If I lived in Rochester, I think I'd go sleep on Al's couch for the winter. ;)

SecondHandSmoker likes this.
  6. SecondHandSmoker

SecondHandSmoker Meat Mopper ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks like it might be time to consider an insulated electric smoker since those bullet style smokers are pretty much non insulated.

7. I wrap my WSM in a welding blanket and put a small wall around it too.