Winter smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iceman6409

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Rochester, NY
Hi All. I have a really old Cabelas bullet style electric smoker. I live in Rochester NY where the winter temperatures can be very very cold. My question is I am pretty sire there is no way I could smoke on that outside in the winter. The freezing temperatures would be wayyyy too cold for the smoker to handle as is. Is there anything I can do to insulate the smoker to try and get temperatures to around 225F? Also let it be known 220-225F is about as high as it goes on a hot day. Let me know any thoughts or ideas. Thank you in advance.

Welding blankets are the preferred method for insulating a smoker for winter. Honestly, I say ditch it and go MES. I think the coldest I smoked in was -15F and worked fine. No blanket or anything. I am not easily impressed but I am with this smoker.

welding blankets but i also built a wooden box to put my smoker in. during the winter in Oklahoma, not only the cold but the wind kills my heat but with the enclosed wooden box i don't have a problem.

Reactions: crazymoon and buzzy
Also might consider like moving it to a place protected by other structures; IE Behind the garage. Every little bit helps.

If you need to trick sensors into starting..well. Use the good ole hair dryer trick :)

Also might consider like moving it to a place protected by other structures

Arizona comes to mind.... :rolleyes:

If I had to (again) deal with frozen butt weather, I'd have an enclosed porch (if possible) and have a smoker I could put a stack outside with.
MES (the box type) have insulation to really help hold the inside temperature.
But it depends on what you want to do.
If I lived in Rochester, I think I'd go sleep on Al's couch for the winter. ;)

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Hi All. I have a really old Cabelas bullet style electric smoker. I live in Rochester NY where the winter temperatures can be very very cold. My question is I am pretty sire there is no way I could smoke on that outside in the winter. The freezing temperatures would be wayyyy too cold for the smoker to handle as is. Is there anything I can do to insulate the smoker to try and get temperatures to around 225F? Also let it be known 220-225F is about as high as it goes on a hot day. Let me know any thoughts or ideas. Thank you in advance.

Looks like it might be time to consider an insulated electric smoker since those bullet style smokers are pretty much non insulated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky