Winter Shrimp/Crab Boil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CTXSmokeLover

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
Central TX
My youngest turned 8 this week, and he requested his birthday meal to be a crawfish boil (I think I'm raising him right). Since it's still a little too early in the year for mudbugs, he settled for a crab/shrimp boil instead. The weather has been fantastic around here this week, so the timing was perfect. Hard to beat!

The flavor:
IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

Into the pot to make some magic
IMG_1185.jpg

All done
IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

-Tyler

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 8
Looks good and Happy Birthday to your son. I do this quite often here and always with shrimp, crawfish aren't readily available locally, and occasionally add crab legs. I also use the same seasoning. The green beans are an interesting addition and I may try that next time. How tender do you like for them to be?

Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
Woo hoo Tyler!! You came back with a bang buddy. I'd have happily bought your son a really nice birthday present to have the opportunity of enjoying a meal like that. Beautiful job and happy birthday!

Robert

Here's some timing notes on what to put in when. This is the trick to a good boil.
  1. In a kettle bring Old Bay, salt, water & beer to a boil a shot or 2 of tequila helps also
  2. Add potatoes and onions; boil for 8 minutes.
  3. Add smoked sausage; continue to boil for 5 minutes.
  4. Add corn to pot; continue to boil for 7 minutes.
  5. Add shrimp in shells, boil for 4 minutes. Unshelled and frozen 2 ½ minutes

Yummy! We go out for crawfish almost every year on my birthday in February. Nice work bud and happy bday to the youngin
Thanks TNJAKE!
That looks great. Boils are all in the timing. Nice!
Thank you! You are right, timing is everything.
That looks killer. Nice job!
Thank you!
Looks good to me as well! And happy birthday to your son!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! He had a great birthday
A very happy birthday indeed! Nice work and great parenting!
Thanks Sven!
Wow, just wow! That's a big deal up nort here! Looks great!
Thanks Buckeyedude. It's a big deal down here as well, snow crabs ain't cheap but well worth it for the little man's big day
Happy birthday, great looking feast!!
Thanks tbern! Great feast and great bday for my boy
Happy birthday to the lil man. He made a great choice in dinners and you did him right.

Jim
Thanks Jim! Hoping these are the memories he'll look back on fondly when he is older
Happy birthday, smart little fella. Green beans are a interesting addition, sure they would work in a blue crab boil also. Looks great.
Thanks! Yes I definitely recommend trying green beans, they are a delicious addition to a boil
Looks good and Happy Birthday to your son. I do this quite often here and always with shrimp, crawfish aren't readily available locally, and occasionally add crab legs. I also use the same seasoning. The green beans are an interesting addition and I may try that next time. How tender do you like for them to be?
Thanks GonnaSmoke. You should definitely try the green beans! I like them to be tender but still have a little snap to them, not mushy. Timing is everything! We also have added baby carrots, asparagus, artichokes, etc. in previous boils... All delicious!
Man I would hurt myself on that! Nice cook.
Thanks Brian! I definitely ate my fair share
Woo hoo Tyler!! You came back with a bang buddy. I'd have happily bought your son a really nice birthday present to have the opportunity of enjoying a meal like that. Beautiful job and happy birthday!

Robert
Thanks Robert! Consider yourself added to the invite list for the next boil!

Thanks for all the comments everyone, it was a great birthday for my little buddy.

Thanks for stopping by!

-Tyler

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky