Windows 11?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon!
While doing a windows update this morning I was informed that I could update to Windows 11 for free.
Of course the word "free" throws up red flags, but maybe that's me.
Has anyone gone to 11? Is it worth it?
The Mrs. thinks I should but I hate to change something that still works.....

Good afternoon!
While doing a windows update this morning I was informed that I could update to Windows 11 for free.
Of course the word "free" throws up red flags, but maybe that's me.
Has anyone gone to 11? Is it worth it?
The Mrs. thinks I should but I hate to change something that still works.....
I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago. Other than looks and more emphasis on the teams environment there isn't alot of difference from 10.

Just be sure any 3rd party software you use is compatible.

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago. Other than looks and more emphasis on the teams environment there isn't alot of difference from 10.

Just be sure any 3rd party software you use is compatible.
Whats a "teams environment"?

A couple of months ago I finally got tired of Microsoft nagging me to upgrade, was bored one day and just did it. Other than things moved around a little I haven't noticed much difference.
Once I got used to it I kind of like the new start menu setup.
I don't know if it was Windows but it took me a half hour to get the Turbo Tax disk to run.
Something happened with the autorun. I finally got it, though....

Reactions: JLeonard
I still have some older work laptops and a tower running XP Pro it works great for my usage. We have two laptops at home that are Win 10, and I'm not looking at upgrading to Win 11 yet.
I have a desktop running Windows 10 that can't be upgraded due to a hardware issue. That desktop "serves" files to a Raspberry Pi running OSMC (a media center OS based on Linux) and a laptop running Windows 10 which is eligible for the "free" upgrade. I've convinced myself that upgrading that laptop will only invite problems, so I'm going to wait as long as possible to do so. Support for Windows 10 gets pulled in 2025, so I still have a couple years before I have to do something.

Yup. Asked this question awhile back. Thanks for bringing this back up for fresher questions. Still not going to upgrade.

Reactions: Marknmd
For the avg. Joe the main issue is legacy software that's no longer compatible with the newer version of the OS.

Chris

As for Windows 11, I haven't personally made the jump yet, but I've heard mixed reviews. Some people love it, while others miss the familiarity of Windows 10. If you're curious, maybe try researching more about the new features and improvements. Oh, and speaking of Windows 11, I've recently found a reliable source for a Windows 11 Pro retail key. Just trying to be helpful as a newbie here.

Last edited:
I have a laptop on 10 and a high end gaming desktop on 11. I find it to be minor differences

Mine upgraded a couple months ago without my consent. Not sure how that happened. Unless I fat fingered. More than likely! It isn't much different than 10. And has been stable with no issues so far.

I miss windows 98 lol, think I let mine change awhile back, no work just surfing on it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky