Will this PID work on "any" electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
SherryT, You're already mentally tearing apart a new MES40 before you get it and more importantly before it craps out on ya?

I would at least run a new smoker as is and then if and when it dies.....get out the surgical Auber gloves.

Getting the Auber WS-1510 for your big chief is a great way to learn it's features.

Now if you find a dead MES40 for free on craigslist or similar, that Auber will come in very handy much sooner. That's what I did with my MES40.

Oh, I know...just thinking ahead.

My immediate use for it "is" the Big Chief...right after I do the hotplate mod.

That kabanosy I made the other night is what prompted this, BTW. It was so good it just messed me UP and I had to open my wallet (bought sheep casings, too...always swore I'd never pay that much money for intestines!).

Bad John...bad!
Who me? 😇

Go away for a few hours and already 2 items on the wish list?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, they've been on the wish list for a long time so it doesn't count against your resolution?

I'm deciding what to do with my Big Chief.
I paid $25 for a once used smoker. I have smoked a lot of meat and cheese in it.
I think I'm going to pass it along to someone else and build a small and taller portable smoker.
Still going to need a controller and heating element.

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT
Regarding Miss Big Chief, don't forget a thermal or welding blanket. She get's cold during these winter days.

Last edited:
Regarding Miss Big Chief, don't forget a thermal or welding blanket. She get's cold during these winter days.

Already wrapped up in Reflectix (I think that's the name...basically bubble wrap encased in foil).

Quick question about the wiring when installing the hotplate...what kind of sheathing do I need to protect the wiring, what size, and can I get it at Lowes or Home Depot?

Thanks tallbm.

I've looked at someone's post showing in detail how it's done (I "think" it was yours) and it looks simple enough...just a bit skittish when it comes to AC. Just NEVER ask me to try to decipher a wiring diagram...might as well be written in ancient Klingon to me!

I know I said earlier I was done buying stuff, but I know if the MES40 goes on sale this year, I'm gonna cave and get it (which is why I ordered the Auber 1510 earlier this evening). When I do, I'm probably gonna ring your bell!
I feel you will be able to do the rewire know problem :)

At Academy Sports, MES units usually go on sale the week or 2 before and through the weekend of Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Year after year they consistently beat other places on MES sales prices.
You have almost a year until they go on deep sale prices there, if that helps you hold off :D

Now, on Facebook's garage sale or on Craigslist you can usually find MES40's for super cheap or free. To me this is the best deal.
From experience, I mention that getting one of these units for free or $40-$50 then taking to a spray car wash and hosing out the inside is a great way to acquire a good unit. Just don't blast the heating element too much directly but don't worry about water getting in the electronics, you would bypass all that anyhow.

Rewire and buy an Auber PID and you have a smoker for around $200 or under that blows away anything you can get brand new. This is how my brother and mother have gotten their units :D

Figured I'd give u food for thought if you find a good deal and just can't wait :D

Already wrapped up in Reflectix (I think that's the name...basically bubble wrap encased in foil).

Quick question about the wiring when installing the hotplate...what kind of sheathing do I need to protect the wiring, what size, and can I get it at Lowes or Home Depot?
Not really sure what you mean by sheathing. I just transferred everything over to my Big Chief where necessary. With all the wiring under the floor of the smoker, I did nothing extra to protect the wiring.

Not really sure what you mean by sheathing. I just transferred everything over to my Big Chief where necessary. With all the wiring under the floor of the smoker, I did nothing extra to protect the wiring.
Oh...I thought you might have added the protective sheathing.

Thanks.

Got a back door for you.
Your "resolution" was "no ordering".
Any of the on-line sell places or garage sales doesn't cross that line.
You're "finding" from those sources.

Got in a pellet pooper thread where a creative person piggybacked an InkBird PID controller on the OE controller. There goes $50 to try that myself.

• Haha
Started dis-assembling the hot plate...FINALLY found the %#^&! screws!

rubber-feet.jpg

Maybe, just MAYBE, I should start WEARING MY GLASSES now and then??? :emoji_rolling_eyes:

LOL, don't know, sometimes I can't see things even with my glasses on......

The thing is that I usually don't have to wear them except for reading and my PC screen...I can see PERFECTLY clear "out yonder", but from arm's length inward, the closer it gets, the fuzzier it gets.

So after discussing whether or not to go ahead and get a MES AND a previous discuaaion about using a hotplate in a Big Chief, I decided to see if there was a plug-n-play PID controller that didn't cost an arm and a leg and found one at Auber's website on sale for $129 until midnight tonight...

plug-n-play PID (forgive me if this violates the link rule)

I know it says for Bradley smokers, but it also says for "other" electric smokers. So I'm wondering if this will work on a hotplate mod in the Big Chief?

I've looked and looked at wiring diagrams for various setups, but I can't for the life of me make heads/tails out of them (don't want to set anything on fire, KWIM?), so plug-n-play it'll have to be.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I have two , a single prob ( for cabinet temperature) and a double prob ( one for cabinet temperature and the other of food temperature). The only thing to watch for is not to exceed the amperage draw. I did on my home made smoker and had to replace a internal buss fuse. I love it. I use a 120 volt oven element for heat in a insulated cabinet and have smoke daddy smoke generator (https://smokedaddyinc.com )

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky