Will this PID work on "any" electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I read through his instructions and I understand a bit better now I think (the P-I-D values are what tunes and keeps the temps constant).

OK...1510ELPM and this will run a hotplate-modded Big Chief and an MES40 if I decide to go that route later on, right?

About to do this...just making sure I have the right model.

Might want to skip posting the next few purchases just so you don't get any flak lol

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT
Might want to skip posting the next few purchases just so you don't get any flak lol

Probably...

FORUM: "I thought you weren't gonna buy anything else!"
ME: "What...that? I've had that for a WHILE now!"

No joke, that's what my mom used to say to my dad when he noticed something "new".

She taught me well! :emoji_wink:

Reactions: DougE and jaxgatorz
I thought the hot plates have a snap/limit switch on them that has to be by-passed so it doesn't cut out/turn off once it gets so hot ??

When I bought mine, I was aware that some do, but according to the Amazon reviews, the one I bought didn't have it.

I've used it in both my gasser (trying to warm smoke) and in my old ECB mod and it never turned off on me.

PS Hotplate.jpg

Last edited:
So looking at a different model, 1510ELPM (in case I wanted to upgrade later), ALL I'D HAVE TO DO is plug the PID up, plug the smoker power cord into the PID, turn the PID on, set the time/temp, and we're off to the races right?

I wouldn't have to do ANY re-wiring in the smoker, right?

Just need to make sure...I was reading on the site where you have to go into the bottom panel on a MB smoker and re-wire in order to bypass the smoker's controls (or some such) and am hoping that's referring to the units that are NOT plug-n-play.
I think you are going in the right direction with all the info you are receiving.
I did not notice a direct answer to the question you asked about rewiring so going to answer that now.

The digital MES will always need to have the simple rewire done (digital one but buttons and electronic display, not analog dial version).

From work and mods you've done in your other posts I feel confident you can knock out the simple rewire even if you have no experience. A number of guys here have been in the same boat and had zero issues.

The simple rewire is simply cutting the ends off 4 wires and then using wire nuts to connect and make 2 whole wires.

I don't know your level of experience with this stuff but its as simple as 4 snips, stripping back some wire insulation and then screwing the wires together with wire nuts and finally a little electrical tape to hold it all in place and insulate if needed.
That's it!

Once the rewire is done the MES power plug will feed electricity directly to the heating element WITH the safety cuttoff switch still in the mix.

Ask any questions you have. You are never being a pest, you are learning and actually helping out the next person that reads all this while standing where you are at now :)

Reactions: jaxgatorz
I think you are going in the right direction with all the info you are receiving.
I did not notice a direct answer to the question you asked about rewiring so going to answer that now.

The digital MES will always need to have the simple rewire done (digital one but buttons and electronic display, not analog dial version).

From work and mods you've done in your other posts I feel confident you can knock out the simple rewire even if you have no experience. A number of guys here have been in the same boat and had zero issues.

The simple rewire is simply cutting the ends off 4 wires and then using wire nuts to connect and make 2 whole wires.

I don't know your level of experience with this stuff but its as simple as 4 snips, stripping back some wire insulation and then screwing the wires together with wire nuts and finally a little electrical tape to hold it all in place and insulate if needed.
That's it!

Once the rewire is done the MES power plug will feed electricity directly to the heating element WITH the safety cuttoff switch still in the mix.

Ask any questions you have. You are never being a pest, you are learning and actually helping out the next person that reads all this while standing where you are at now :)

Thanks tallbm.

I've looked at someone's post showing in detail how it's done (I "think" it was yours) and it looks simple enough...just a bit skittish when it comes to AC. Just NEVER ask me to try to decipher a wiring diagram...might as well be written in ancient Klingon to me!

I know I said earlier I was done buying stuff, but I know if the MES40 goes on sale this year, I'm gonna cave and get it (which is why I ordered the Auber 1510 earlier this evening). When I do, I'm probably gonna ring your bell!

I know I said earlier I was done buying stuff, but I know if the MES40 goes on sale this year, I'm gonna cave and get it
LMAO, now that didn't take long at all. I'm just giving you a hard time because I'm the same. Keep saying I'm done buying but keep on doing it anyhow. A grinder upgrade is probably next. I like the one I have, but less knifework if I go bigger.

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT
LMAO, now that didn't take long at all. I'm just giving you a hard time because I'm the same. Keep saying I'm done buying but keep on doing it anyhow. A grinder upgrade is probably next. I like the one I have, but less knifework if I go bigger.

Broke minds think alike! :emoji_money_mouth:

Reactions: DougE

Oh I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those Champion juicers that some use to emulsify meat!

I mean, I can do a decent job in my Ninja FP, but not as good as what I see from that juicer!

Oh I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those Champion juicers that some use to emulsify meat!

I mean, I can do a decent job in my Ninja FP, but not as good as what I see from that juicer!
Yeah, me too. Last I looked, used ones on fleabay were selling pretty high ...... fairly cheap if you just get the motor, but then you still have to get the rest of it.

SherryT, You're already mentally tearing apart a new MES40 before you get it and more importantly before it craps out on ya?

I would at least run a new smoker as is and then if and when it dies.....get out the surgical Auber gloves.

Getting the Auber WS-1510 for your big chief is a great way to learn it's features.

Now if you find a dead MES40 for free on craigslist or similar, that Auber will come in very handy much sooner. That's what I did with my MES40.

SherryT, You're already mentally tearing apart a new MES40 before you get it and more importantly before it craps out on ya?

I would at least run a new smoker as is and then if and when it dies.....get out the surgical Auber gloves.

Getting the Auber WS-1510 for your big chief is a great way to learn it's features.

Now if you find a dead MES40 for free on craigslist or similar, that Auber will come in very handy much sooner. That's what I did with my MES40.
I'm not for or against the idea since I have bought a lot of new stuff over the years with the sole intention to immediately modify it to suit my needs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky