Wild Boar??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
Anyone every do wild boar? I had it once grilled as a kabob and I swear it was the best "pig" flavor. I was looking to maybe try some in the smoker. There has to be a mail order place that is cheaper than $19.80 lb for a loin.
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
icon_eek.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_13.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif

If it's for sale at any price IMO it aint "wild boar". It may be a captive boar bred from the stock of a Wild boar.

It may be different in other places, but all the states I've lived in it is illegal to sell wild meat.

cajun,i think your right about selling wild meat. i hunt and smoke wild pig all the time.i make a lot of it into sausage and smoked meat..and some times we kalua it. if we do kalua most times we add commercial pig for the fat .because the wild pig is pretty lean.. unless you get one mixed with a commercial pig thats gone wild..about a month ago we caught a 300lb sow..it was half commercial.. most wild pigs not mixed get half that size..i'm not sure if its the same wild pig as what you are talking about. but what we get here is pretty good meat...

i smoked the bacons and a off a 204 pound ferral sow and a whole 35 pounder shot in texas. both were excellen

What................No wild hogs in Valley Forge, PA?
Wild boar meat is very good on the smoker. I was supposed to go hunting hogs this weekend, but I have to work on my Mom's house. So maybe next weekend. I need to hit the river too and get me some spoonbill. You're going to Florida. Take the old rifle and kill ya one up down in them everglades. Git ya a gator while yer at it. Let us know what the gator tastes like.
icon_smile.gif

Feral hogs (common hogs released or escaped to the wild) carry some diseases that are not good and require very thorough cooking. The State of Missouri encourages residents to kill feral hogs on sight, no sort of permit required, because they are so destructive. I carry my TC Contender with 14" 30-30 Win barrel in my boat while fishing because it is not uncommon to see them along the lake shore. I've rolled a couple.
True "wild boar" is a whole nuther animal and topic.

Holy Smokes!

The only thing I pay $20 or more a pound for would maybe be another baby boy (seeing how mines not delivering me any grandbabies!)

PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

Best gator I've ever had was some blackened gator.... That's some good stuff!

Kangaroo isn't bad either!

If any of you are ever in the Jacksonville, FL area, go to the Mandarin area, and in the middle of nowhere is a place called Clark's Fish Camp.
If it's wild, they serve it. We had appetizers of snake and roo.... Great stuff, and great place to see. It's on the edge of the swamp there -- pretty neat.

It's easy to tell wild from feral. Offspring reared in the wild from feral hogs are wild by anyone's definition. "Wild Boar" is a very vague term for any wild hog. As we all know, a boar is male.
Most feral hogs will have tell tale signs like ear tags, clipped tails, ears and teeth. And if you shoot one in Missouri, the legal owner can still claim it and prosecute for killing it. Seen it done down here a few times. And they all can carry disease, wild or not.
As a farm raised kid from a huge hog production in Iowa, trust me when I say this; just because they are fenced and raised on silage, don't mean they're tame by any stretch of the imagination. Piss off a sow with piglets and find out. Same holds true in the wild. Sows are much more intimidating to me than boars. We hunt them here and in the Ozark National Forrest near Fallsville AR. And you are right about the shore. They are very common on the Northern shore of Tablerock Lake. We also take a rifle when we fish down there.

Tom we cant keep spoonbill here they say there becoming extinct. Used to catch them at Lake Texarkana when snag fishing was allowed.

where i am in australia we shoot them while at work on the farm ( carry guns in tractors )almost every week and drag them off the paddock for the foxes and crows to clean up .
i quite often just run over em in my 4X4 .
few weeks back i got 9 in one go with my landcruiser you should of seen the carnage and the stunt driving . i just dragged em all to the side of the road and left em there

We have lots of them here in Texas. My buddy traps small ones, clips their nuts and raises them in pens. Antibiotic shots, B-12 and corn fed for a few months. Ain't exactly legal to do that but who's going to know? We freeze all the meat for two months to make sure there is no trichinosis. I'm making bacon from some wild hog belly right now.
Jimbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky