Wife Wants Homemade Pasta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old sarge

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 26, 2012
SE Arizona
About a month ago, my wife said she saw a pasta maker she could, not would, like (use of the word would is an automatic purchase by me for her). Emeril Legase pasta and more. Knowing some of you folks have other Legase branded items and like them, does anyone here have his pasta maker? Likes/dislikes? And thanx!

Reactions: JLeonard
I have and thanks. It seems to be the standard for that type unit. And I looked at the motor and the many attachments. Also looked at the attachments for the KA. But she is thinking an all in one mixer and extruder. Just in the thinking stages at this time. But it did get my interest. I looked at the old Simac marketed by Lello 25 or so years ago. Now Lello has the same machine under their own brand. They are noisy. And there is Philips. And the no longer available Marcato Restorontica. So looking for peoples experience with the Legase item since it grabbed her interest. Thanks again.

I have the Emeril and I am not all that impressed.
Maybe I'm a tasteless slob but I can't taste all that much difference between dry pasta and fresh.
Then there's the storage and clean up.
As the song says... too much monkey business.
Don't get me wrong, the thing works like a dream no issues with components or build quality, I'm just not impressed with fresh pasta.
We bought the full boat of accessories but have not tried them yet so who knows, maybe slow juiced beets or home made sorbet will knock my socks off.

Take a look at the Atlas 150 manual pasta maker.
I have my Nona's old 1940's Atlas, and it works perfectly still. This machine has literally made tons of pasta.
I still like to make it and roll it out by hand though. I'll use the machine when I'm making pasta for a group because it's so quick and easy. I never use the cutter though I always use a bike cutter mainly for show and memories though.

I love my KA attachment …… like others have said so worth every penny !

hood luck - let us know what u decide and how the taste tests are!!

But she is thinking an all in one mixer and extruder.
I have an Atlas Marcato , so no experience with an all in one machine . I know when I mix pasta dough from scratch , the rest in the fridge lets the dough hydrate and really changes it . So I just wonder how the machine does the same .
I use egg yolks and semolina .
I'm thinking the mix has to be just right to extrude the shapes .
Just went and watched a video , to answer my own question . Looks like you need to follow his recipe and use the measuring cup that comes with the machine .
I bet it works great after you get it figured out .

Wife uses the KA too. Loves it (but required a "modification")

She use to use a hand-crank from TJMax. It worked fine. Used it for several years. It was simple to pass the dough through the roller, then immediately through the the cutters.

She originally objected to the KA, since it requires exchanging between roller and cutter. She came up with a brilliant solution to this dilemma:
Get a second KA!
facepalm-emoticon.png

Now she has one KA running the rollers and the second running the cutters.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have the Emeril and I am not all that impressed.
Don't get me wrong, the thing works like a dream no issues with components or build quality, I'm just not impressed with fresh pasta.
We bought the full boat of accessories but have not tried them yet so who knows, maybe slow juiced beets or home made sorbet will knock my socks off.
Thanks Chazdev.

If you can find one... these are the finest and easiest to use, we've been using one for 30 years...
Rare Simac PastaMatic 1400 Pasta Bread Dough Maker Machine - Made in Italy | eBay

I saw the Simac on eBay quite some time ago and have it in my watch list. But way too much money including shipping for a machine that old and missing most of the pasta dies. Simac was king of the hill for a long time. The Lello 3000, made in China, is probably a clone of the Simac. Thanks.

For the others with the KA/Atlas comments, they are greatly appreciated. All good info and food for thought.

hide this post from my wife! OMG im not even going to make mention of this. She will want me to make pasta everyday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky